Realistic range concerns.

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Central Oregon Guy

1st Year Member
Nov 16, 2022
Last year I bought my wife a new car. It was going to be a Tesla; but we settled on a Toyota RAV4 Prime (plug in hybrid). The reason we didn’t get a full battery electric vehicle is due to the lack of charging infrastructure in Central Oregon. We often do road trips and with a battery electric vehicle would not be able to return home on the same day or continue our journey; due to a lack of charging stations. I have started to see a few new charging stations (Detroit, Oregon), but not enough yet to alleviate my range anxiety.

My primary vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner, it is rugged and reliable; but it is not electric. I use it primarily as a daily driver with weekend trips to the Wilderness for hunting trips. My last hunting trip was 120 miles one way in freezing temperatures. Depending on the availability of charging stations; I wouldn’t be able to make a return trip in a vehicle with limited range like the Polestar 2 or Nissan Leaf. Please make the Scout with a realistic range (regardless of temperature) for the people who will actually use it outside of cities.

I'll go right ahead and mention the range on my 20 gallon 196 is less than 250 miles. A 300 mile range with a reasonable recharge time would fit my lifestyle, but I'm not every owner.

Is there any reason aftermarket/RV trailer mfrs can't put extended range batteries under an RV floor with a power tether connecting to the towing vehicle? It's obviously not cheap, but adding a few battery "panels" under the floorboards of the RV proper to increase the onboard kwh capacity surely wouldn't have too much of a weight penalty?

I'll go right ahead and mention the range on my 20 gallon 196 is less than 250 miles. A 300 mile range with a reasonable recharge time would fit my lifestyle, but I'm not every owner.

Is there any reason aftermarket/RV trailer mfrs can't put extended range batteries under an RV floor with a power tether connecting to the towing vehicle? It's obviously not cheap, but adding a few battery "panels" under the floorboards of the RV proper to increase the onboard kwh capacity surely wouldn't have too much of a weight penalty?
Yep, but that is 250 miles with gas stations everywhere. I think 300 miles would be the bare minimum for me, maybe 350 would be reasonable.

I stumbled across this the other day, it may interest you. Airstream has an electric RV concept. See below link.

I can tell you on our 4xe, once something is plugged into the female J1772 port, the vehicle will not move anymore.

Now that doesn't mean it can't get a signal from a purpose-built portable generator, but it's a factor.

Most modern offroad capable SUVs, or people for that matter, can't go more than 250-300 miles without stopping anyway so focusing on that range with good recharge time and capability is probably best. Keep in mind that the vast majority of EV owners can meet all of their needs with a type 1 or 2 charger at home. It's akin to every home having its own gas station...

Most modern offroad capable SUVs, or people for that matter, can't go more than 250-300 miles without stopping anyway so focusing on that range with good recharge time and capability is probably best. Keep in mind that the vast majority of EV owners can meet all of their needs with a type 1 or 2 charger at home. It's akin to every home having its own gas station...
I agree that good recharge time is important, we have a level 2 home charger for my wife’s Rav 4 Prime.

For me range matters; because we don’t yet have extensive charging infrastructure in Oregon or surrounding States like Idaho. I will easily travel 120+ miles to go hunt, camp or hike, there are no charging stations in these extremely isolated locations, I need enough charge to get me home.

Being that electric vehicles rely heavily on aerodynamics for range, things like rooftop tents will require more battery capacity to offset the extra aerodynamic inefficiencies. An example would be how changing wheel configurations on a Rivian R1T; alters the range substantially.

If the Scout is going to be an Overland vehicle, it needs to be built rugged and reliable with enough range for real life activities. Or at least have an option for a larger battery or range extender. Otherwise I’ll probably just stick to my 4Runner or get a Tundra Hybrid.

Range of 300-ish miles (500km) is a magic number for me. I already have a level 2 charger at home and expect that 95% of my charging will be done at home. I know it's all a balancing act of battery size vs. weight vs cost. I know everyone wants the highest range, but I also don't want to pay more for, or carry around, battery capacity that I may never need. Living in the North a heat pump will also be essential to support winter range.

Range of 300-ish miles (500km) is a magic number for me. I already have a level 2 charger at home and expect that 95% of my charging will be done at home. I know it's all a balancing act of battery size vs. weight vs cost. I know everyone wants the highest range, but I also don't want to pay more for, or carry around, battery capacity that I may never need. Living in the North a heat pump will also be essential to support winter range.
Agreed, I recently read that heat pumps help electric vehicles operate more efficiently!

• Wow
Reactions: Harris005
Agreed, I recently read that heat pumps help electric vehicles operate more efficiently!

I had a 2019 Model 3 without the heat pump and now have a 2022 with the heat pump. I can tell you it’s a significant difference. Not only is the range better, but it heats up very quickly!

I had a 2019 Model 3 without the heat pump and now have a 2022 with the heat pump. I can tell you it’s a significant difference. Not only is the range better, but it heats up very quickly!
Do you have well developed charging infrastructure where you live? Have you ever had problems finding a charger? Did you get the long range Tesla 3?

Do you have well developed charging infrastructure where you live? Have you ever had problems finding a charger? Did you get the long range Tesla 3?
I charge at work or at home on a level 2. Yes, there are Charge Point chargers etc around. It’s not like big cities but it’s pretty good. No issues finding chargers on my infrequent road trips. Superchargers are easier and often quicker than gas stops in my opinion. You rarely have to “fill up” when charging. By the time you stretch your legs, go to the bathroom and grab a drink it’s charged enough to continue. Yes, I got a Model 3 Long Range.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
I read an article that interested me; regarding range degradation in cold weather.

This is a real reason why a heat pump is so important for colder weather climates. The vehicles that have heat pump supported AC systems are far more efficient when generating heat for the cabin.

the VW ID.4 for North America decided not to include a heat pump and instead it used an electric resistance heater which is very ineficient thats why you see it loses 30% while a similarly sized Tesla Model Y (that does have a heat pump) only loses 15% in cold weather.

This is a real reason why a heat pump is so important for colder weather climates. The vehicles that have heat pump supported AC systems are far more efficient when generating heat for the cabin.

the VW ID.4 for North America decided not to include a heat pump and instead it used an electric resistance heater which is very ineficient thats why you see it loses 30% while a similarly sized Tesla Model Y (that does have a heat pump) only loses 15% in cold weather.

In Canada, 2023 ID.4's seem to be available for order with an optional heat pump.

Download the ID.4 comparison guide hereOpen external link

But agreed, heat pump is a requirement for me for any future EV purchase.

300 Mile range seems a standard goal among most vehicles sold domestically. That being said they can be re-fueled in a reasonable timeframe with many fueling sites available even in remote areas. For a strictly EV platform to be competitive you would need to have at minimum equal range to the counterpart standard. Especially considering the lack of refueling infrastructure currently in place. Another thing to consider is range available among various climate extremes.

In the southwest you may have heating issues with the motors and storage systems. In the northern and mountainous areas you will experience massive reductions in both range and charging speed. The market for this vehicle to be a great success spans a wide variety of environmental and duty ranges, hopefully it will be suitable for most. Otherwise I hope they produce it with area specific editions that will excel in the intended market.

I love to take my family on road trips. But range and lack of charging in many areas might be a problem when I go electric.

Example
7 day / 6 nights California to New Mexico. Total 2200+ miles.

Day 1 Temecula CA to White Sands National Park NM (12 hr drive)
Day 2 White Sands National Park, primitive tent camping (1 hr driving)
Day 3 White Sands to Carlsbad Caverns National Park (3 hrs) then to Santa Fe (5.5 hrs)
Day 4 Bandelier National Monument
Day 5 Santa Fe
Day 6 Petrified Forest National Park then Flagstaff AZ (6 hr driving)
Day 7 Flagstaff AZ to Temecula CA (7.5 hrs)

Is this even possible with electric?

I love to take my family on road trips. But range and lack of charging in many areas might be a problem when I go electric.

Example
7 day / 6 nights California to New Mexico. Total 2200+ miles.

Day 1 Temecula CA to White Sands National Park NM (12 hr drive)
Day 2 White Sands National Park, primitive tent camping (1 hr driving)
Day 3 White Sands to Carlsbad Caverns National Park (3 hrs) then to Santa Fe (5.5 hrs)
Day 4 Bandelier National Monument
Day 5 Santa Fe
Day 6 Petrified Forest National Park then Flagstaff AZ (6 hr driving)
Day 7 Flagstaff AZ to Temecula CA (7.5 hrs)

Is this even possible with electric?
I think so. Try this site.
They also have an app and it will work with CarPlay. Plug your trip into their site and see how it looks.

I think so. Try this site.
They also have an app and it will work with CarPlay. Plug your trip into their site and see how it looks.
I tried out this tool. Assuming I have 300 miles of range and I’m able to use 80% of that between charges I’d need to almost fully charge at least 8 times during this trip. The first leg requires at least two charges to get to the first destination. Also there’s no overnight charging on the night when I’m camping in the desert.

Because the trip already has packed days with a couple of late arrivals at hotels going electric would add 3 days to the trip much of which would be spent waiting in Walmart parking lots. That’s 3 lost days of work and 3 additional hotel nights to pay for.

I used this example because it’s an actual trip I have done (with two drivers switching on the long stretches).

I’m hoping the Scout will have a very long range that exceeds the 300 miles offered by heavy vehicles like the Rivian.

I tried out this tool. Assuming I have 300 miles of range and I’m able to use 80% of that between charges I’d need to almost fully charge at least 8 times during this trip. The first leg requires at least two charges to get to the first destination. Also there’s no overnight charging on the night when I’m camping in the desert.

Because the trip already has packed days with a couple of late arrivals at hotels going electric would add 3 days to the trip much of which would be spent waiting in Walmart parking lots. That’s 3 lost days of work and 3 additional hotel nights to pay for.

I used this example because it’s an actual trip I have done (with two drivers switching on the long stretches).

I’m hoping the Scout will have a very long range that exceeds the 300 miles offered by heavy vehicles like the Rivian.
another great tool to use is ABRP. this is more accurate and has better information based on the vehicle you are driving. i reccomend you tell it you are useing a rivian R1T or R1S (depending what scout you are interested in). this will let you know not only where and how long you will need to stop at every location but the state of the battery at every leg.

another great tool to use is ABRP. this is more accurate and has better information based on the vehicle you are driving. i reccomend you tell it you are useing a rivian R1T or R1S (depending what scout you are interested in). this will let you know not only where and how long you will need to stop at every location but the state of the battery at every leg.

ABRP is the best EV trip planner I've found as well.

Reactions: Rustic_father