Modern Take On the Old 800

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Ferg’s Daily Doodle

1st Year Member
May 9, 2023
Plano, Texas
Hey there,

My name is Jim, and by day, I am but a meager middle school art teacher, but I do freelance art, cartooning, and illustration on the side. Sometimes, I get delusions of adequacy and the brain daydreams about redesigning products that are true to my heart.

I used to wonder what a modern take on the 800 would look like. Eventually, the thought process evolved more to what I would like to see in a modern 800 EV.

The wheelbase was stretched from 100 inches to 106 inches. The Scout has front and rear full-floating Dana 44 portal axles with thicker axle tubes. The wheel wells have been opened up more to make room for the 37 inch tires on the 17 inch wheels.

The power plant will be an electric motor that connects to a traditional transmission and transfer case.The batteries will be comprised of hemp graphene. The charging port will be located behind the retro gas cap.

Mind you, this is just in my wee little head.I am sure the new Scout that will be produced will have more in common with the Rivian rather than a Jeep, and that is quite alright. I know that my ideas of what would be cool and fun run way different to what most individuals appreciate.

This concept drawing is a little more fancy than the one Ted Ornas doodled on a scrap piece of mat board. That being said, this is still a poor quality concept drawing, as I was not using a proper design software tailored toward automotive design. The proportions are off. Big time. Still, for free iPad software, you cannot beat Sketchbook!

new800.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 8.56.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-10 at 8.56.47 PM.png

Hey there,

My name is Jim, and by day, I am but a meager middle school art teacher, but I do freelance art, cartooning, and illustration on the side. Sometimes, I get delusions of adequacy and the brain daydreams about redesigning products that are true to my heart.

I used to wonder what a modern take on the 800 would look like. Eventually, the thought process evolved more to what I would like to see in a modern 800 EV.

The wheelbase was stretched from 100 inches to 106 inches. The Scout has front and rear full-floating Dana 44 portal axles with thicker axle tubes. The wheel wells have been opened up more to make room for the 37 inch tires on the 17 inch wheels.

The power plant will be an electric motor that connects to a traditional transmission and transfer case.The batteries will be comprised of hemp graphene. The charging port will be located behind the retro gas cap.

Mind you, this is just in my wee little head.I am sure the new Scout that will be produced will have more in common with the Rivian rather than a Jeep, and that is quite alright. I know that my ideas of what would be cool and fun run way different to what most individuals appreciate.

This concept drawing is a little more fancy than the one Ted Ornas doodled on a scrap piece of mat board. That being said, this is still a poor quality concept drawing, as I was not using a proper design software tailored toward automotive design. The proportions are off. Big time. Still, for free iPad software, you cannot beat Sketchbook!

View attachment 969

View attachment 970View attachment 971
Cool renders Jim!

There likely won't be a traditional transmission as electric motors don't need gears. Pretty much every EV uses a single reduction gear from the motors to the wheels because the motors have so much torque and such a wide power band. A transmission would just add pointless complexity. What that means though is no prop-shaft taking up space as well, and electric motors front and rear. The motors are usually pretty compact, about the size of a watermelon and I'd be surprised if Scout did something other than a skateboard-style platform. They just make so much sense for EVs.

So it would basically be a body-on-frame design, motors front and rear down on the axles, battery in the middle making up the floor of the vehicle. Depending on how they package everything there should be a fairly generous front trunk (aka lockable storage) where the engine would usually be in a gas Scout. Lots of cool opportunities for that space. I like the charge plug under fuel door idea but I'd prefer the door to open upward rather than to the side for snow reasons. Ideally they'd actually skip trying to recreate a fuel door entirely and hid the charge port somewhere in the front fascia. Charge port location is actually kind of important and having it in the rear isn't always the most convenient, especially if you're towing something. Having it in the front makes for much more flexibility since you can nose in to pretty much any charging station out there.

Love the look of what you drew though, I'd be happy if the real thing looked like that.

Hey there,

View attachment 969

View attachment 970View attachment 971
Fantastic interpretation from one designer to another. Scout font is bigger than I’d like to see but the glow behind is evident in your render. White roof is a winner. I also mentioned getting a chrome gas cap on the new vehicle and think if it flipped up that would be cool. Another thread we discussed the chrome cap making an appearance and tried to find another use as well. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing. Love the throw back avocado green color too

Nicely done Jim! I'll pass it along to our design team with the rest of them - they get a kick out of these.

Just a note on "traditional" (can we say that yet?) skateboard EV platforms. These have largely been unibody setups so far commonly done on cars and some of the newer EV SUVs that are hitting the market. Our new platform will be a body on ladder-frame setup and a bit different than the more common skateboard setups.

Cool renders Jim!

There likely won't be a traditional transmission as electric motors don't need gears. Pretty much every EV uses a single reduction gear from the motors to the wheels because the motors have so much torque and such a wide power band. A transmission would just add pointless complexity. What that means though is no prop-shaft taking up space as well, and electric motors front and rear. The motors are usually pretty compact, about the size of a watermelon and I'd be surprised if Scout did something other than a skateboard-style platform. They just make so much sense for EVs.

So it would basically be a body-on-frame design, motors front and rear down on the axles, battery in the middle making up the floor of the vehicle. Depending on how they package everything there should be a fairly generous front trunk (aka lockable storage) where the engine would usually be in a gas Scout. Lots of cool opportunities for that space. I like the charge plug under fuel door idea but I'd prefer the door to open upward rather than to the side for snow reasons. Ideally they'd actually skip trying to recreate a fuel door entirely and hid the charge port somewhere in the front fascia. Charge port location is actually kind of important and having it in the rear isn't always the most convenient, especially if you're towing something. Having it in the front makes for much more flexibility since you can nose in to pretty much any charging station out there.

Love the look of what you drew though, I'd be happy if the real thing looked like that.
Thanks!

Oh, I know my ideas are way overly complicated. I'm just a nerd who always toyed with the idea of an electric motor and a standard transmission. Thankfully, I will never have the income to go beyond a simple rendering... I would end up creating a mess. LOL

Reactions: RebelliousPeasant
Nicely done Jim! I'll pass it along to our design team with the rest of them - they get a kick out of these.

Just a note on "traditional" (can we say that yet?) skateboard EV platforms. These have largely been unibody setups so far commonly done on cars and some of the newer EV SUVs that are hitting the market. Our new platform will be a body on ladder-frame setup and a bit different than the more common skateboard setups.
For real? The ladder frame set up gets me excited to see what you all come up with!