If you do a rugged and capable EV with a true AMERICAN style, do it right...

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

jtorre4272

1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Dearborn, MI
www.google.com
EVs have been known to be weaker in off road capability than their ICE counterparts in several areas, as a result of battery costs, increased weight, breakover angle limits and the relatively new concept limited beam eAxle technology available today. If you want to build what off road enthusiasts want, and you desire to separate yourselves from the Rivian, Ford, Tesla and Hummer EV lineups, then place emphasis on true off road content, well integrated with EV technology. Do not try to replace proven hardware with "fancy" software such as what GM has attempted to do with their "virtual locker" joke at the rear axle of their tri-motor setup. A combination of legacy hardware with the advanced controls and electric motor precision offered today would make an unstoppable vehicle. A halo product of sorts, from which less capable trim levels can be derived.

- Highly configurable by the aftermarket and SEMA community
- Good articulation and static ground clearance angles
- Adequate torque at each axle, since there is no transfer case to instantly send torque to axle with grip (in other words, it is not about 0-60 MPH times when all 4 wheels have grip....)
- Implement locking differentials at front and rear
- Achieve skid torque at either axle either via 2 speed gearing, or performance oriented final drive ratios
- Provide utmost cooling to prevent derate at motors in tough stall conditions such as during rock climbs
- Offer flexible drive mode options tailored to terrain
- Offer unique software features that are successfully implemented on BEVs to exploit their capabilities beyond ICE
- Easy suspension and steering upgrades that a customer can DIY
- A confident and highly developed brake traction control system not borrowed from ICE, but made unique for EVs to work directly with motor controls
- A tire lineup oriented toward traction and not range, in an industry standard size (35, 37" etc)

Build a modern version of this, with a trim level comparable to Bronco Sasquatch, but as an EV, and you will crush your competition. I would consider it unwise to rely on European "experts" to support an American off road culture. Build a core team that understands things like San Felipe 250, King of the Hammers, Johnson Valley, Anza-Borrego Park, Moab and many other iconic locations across the country.

Attachments

• IMG_1752 copy.png
    IMG_1752 copy.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
With an ideal brake-based traction control system, wouldn't locking differentials be redundant? I mostly drive older cars with physical LSDs, so I don't know the shortcomings of brake-based torque biasing firsthand, but I'm excited that you could theoretically outperform a locker or helical diff with electronics - which is what excited me about electric cars in the first place.

Not a correct statement. Brake traction control systems can only bias a portion of available Powertrain torque due to physics of differentisls. A locker bypasses the differential and can double torque at a single wheel. Further, traction control systems are reactionary relying on slip to deliver to a target biasing speed. Lockers are preemptive and greatly reduce dependence on control algorithms that are far from ideal. There’s no substitute for a locker in more extreme off road conditions, especially when one wheel is off the ground. Period. Even an lsd is a positive influence and works well when developed WITH traction control as it acts as a rotational damper.

I welcome you to attend my drivetrain physics seminar at the IH Scout and All Truck Nationals this June in Springfield OH where I go through these topics in great detail.

EVs have been known to be weaker in off road capability than their ICE counterparts in several areas, as a result of battery costs, increased weight, breakover angle limits and the relatively new concept limited beam eAxle technology available today. If you want to build what off road enthusiasts want, and you desire to separate yourselves from the Rivian, Ford, Tesla and Hummer EV lineups, then place emphasis on true off road content, well integrated with EV technology. Do not try to replace proven hardware with "fancy" software such as what GM has attempted to do with their "virtual locker" joke at the rear axle of their tri-motor setup. A combination of legacy hardware with the advanced controls and electric motor precision offered today would make an unstoppable vehicle. A halo product of sorts, from which less capable trim levels can be derived.

- Highly configurable by the aftermarket and SEMA community
- Good articulation and static ground clearance angles
- Adequate torque at each axle, since there is no transfer case to instantly send torque to axle with grip (in other words, it is not about 0-60 MPH times when all 4 wheels have grip....)
- Implement locking differentials at front and rear
- Achieve skid torque at either axle either via 2 speed gearing, or performance oriented final drive ratios
- Provide utmost cooling to prevent derate at motors in tough stall conditions such as during rock climbs
- Offer flexible drive mode options tailored to terrain
- Offer unique software features that are successfully implemented on BEVs to exploit their capabilities beyond ICE
- Easy suspension and steering upgrades that a customer can DIY
- A confident and highly developed brake traction control system not borrowed from ICE, but made unique for EVs to work directly with motor controls
- A tire lineup oriented toward traction and not range, in an industry standard size (35, 37" etc)

Build a modern version of this, with a trim level comparable to Bronco Sasquatch, but as an EV, and you will crush your competition. I would consider it unwise to rely on European "experts" to support an American off road culture. Build a core team that understands things like San Felipe 250, King of the Hammers, Johnson Valley, Anza-Borrego Park, Moab and many other iconic locations across the country.
The bronco sasquatch comparison, and the additional cooling for rock climbs are great points.

Reactions: J Alynn
The bronco sasquatch comparison, and the additional cooling for rock climbs are great points.
I think this is great. I would ask that the technology be an option though as many of us won’t be doing hardcore rock crawling. I think this again adds value to the idea that the Scouts need to be very customizable to fit the primary uses of the Scout. Be it rocks, trails, beach or mall being flexible to buyers will be key to great sales albeit more difficult for the sales side of things