Hummer EV Breaks - This CANNOT Happen to the Scout

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

IdahoJOAT

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
While I don't generally like TFL(I won't go into why unless asked), this video came up.

This needs to be on Scout Motors' radar, because this is the ultimate cautionary tale.

THIS will not only turn people off of EVs, but this ABSOLUTELY will sour people from EVER buying a GM EV. People are fickle and jaded, and this only reinforces what they think they know.

The Hummer is the dumbest "EV" in my opinion. It has such a huge battery, it isn't effeciency at all and it just is worthless except being an extremely expensive flex.

This whole video does not surprise me at all.

I was promised reliability in EVs compared to ICE. The problem with most EVs seems to be the software, like most every computer, phone, app, etc. If you're going all in on software, core components of the EV drive system NEED to have failsafe modes/systems like an airplane. Give them limp modes at the very least.

Reactions: J Alynn and R1TVT
I was promised reliability in EVs compared to ICE. The problem with most EVs seems to be the software, like most every computer, phone, app, etc. If you're going all in on software, core components of the EV drive system NEED to have failsafe modes/systems like an airplane. Give them limp modes at the very least.
You can see in the vid it's supposed to. "Reduced acceleration"... naw dawg. There was zero acceleration.

Reactions: Rustic_father
how do you propose to have a failsafe or a back up? It is electric. What is the failsafe and back up to dropping a transmission or blowing a head gasket?

If software fails how is the software supposed to have a limp mode? I assume that would be software based.

I know what you are trying to suggest but an ICE car doesn't have a failsafe for it it's engine fails...that's why tow trucks have existed forever....asking a new EV to do what an ICE can't just because you don't like phones and computers is a bit unrealistic

how do you propose to have a failsafe or a back up? It is electric. What is the failsafe and back up to dropping a transmission or blowing a head gasket?

If software fails how is the software supposed to have a limp mode? I assume that would be software based.

I know what you are trying to suggest but an ICE car doesn't have a failsafe for it it's engine fails...that's why tow trucks have existed forever....asking a new EV to do what an ICE can't just because you don't like phones and computers is a bit unrealistic
I think it's through compartmentalization. I beleive a lot of the problems is that everything is essentially run through 1-3 computers, each essential to the overall function of the rig.

I'd rather have the propulsion system separate, then the HVAC and infotainment separated and have their own much more complicated computers.

Reactions: J Alynn
I think it's through compartmentalization. I beleive a lot of the problems is that everything is essentially run through 1-3 computers, each essential to the overall function of the rig.

I'd rather have the propulsion system separate, then the HVAC and infotainment separated and have their own much more complicated computers.
I'm not sure if that is possible. The HVAC will likely also have to be used to heat or cool the battery coolant. It is unlikely for there to be more than one CPU in charge of the whole vehicle since all the systems will be interdependent, especially if there is going to be a central screen with mixed functionality. I have a background in IT and adding CPUs is a sure way to make things break more often because they will more often have a mistake or problem with communicating with each other rather than one or more failing.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off a bit argumentative today....I'm having a bit of a bad day..I am trying to inform not shoot down ideas

I'm not sure if that is possible. The HVAC will likely also have to be used to heat or cool the battery coolant. It is unlikely for there to be more than one CPU in charge of the whole vehicle since all the systems will be interdependent, especially if there is going to be a central screen with mixed functionality. I have a background in IT and adding CPUs is a sure way to make things break more often because they will more often have a mistake or problem with communicating with each other rather than one or more failing.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off a bit argumentative today....I'm having a bit of a bad day..I am trying to inform not shoot down ideas
No worries! The insight is good.

Therein lies the rub. Running everything through one computer leaves it vulnerable, while running things through multiple computers leaves things with bus-based communication issues on occasion. Proper logic circuits and redundancies for critical systems will be too expensive for general automotive use, but they're quite proven in the modern airliners, and surprisingly simple. ICE vehicles have had multiple computers for years, and while they occasionally do have issues, they've been quite reliable. A few years back, I had a body ECU have a glitch and not do anything inside. No radio, HVAC, dash instrumention, etc. Even then, the car (ICE) still started and drove just fine. I'm just asking for better programming so that a Spotify update gone wrong doesn't use up all system resources and leave me stranded in traffic. What happens when braking or electronic power steering just turns off? I've had the latter happen, and I can tell you, it was nothing like steering an old car without power steering.

I think better programming would help. Okay, a steering angle sensor isn't reading. Fine, instead of turning off the steering or the whole vehicle, put the vehicle in a limited limp mode where the vehicle reads wheel speed sensors instead to get an idea of whats happening enough to limp it to safety. Most of these automakers are flying by the seat of their pants in software development now and rushing to try to keep up while sacrificing safety. This applies to both ICE and EV makers alike. Nobody cares about the nitty gritty, they just want a pretty UI nowadays, until it bites them.

Therein lies the rub. Running everything through one computer leaves it vulnerable, while running things through multiple computers leaves things with bus-based communication issues on occasion. Proper logic circuits and redundancies for critical systems will be too expensive for general automotive use, but they're quite proven in the modern airliners, and surprisingly simple. ICE vehicles have had multiple computers for years, and while they occasionally do have issues, they've been quite reliable. A few years back, I had a body ECU have a glitch and not do anything inside. No radio, HVAC, dash instrumention, etc. Even then, the car (ICE) still started and drove just fine. I'm just asking for better programming so that a Spotify update gone wrong doesn't use up all system resources and leave me stranded in traffic. What happens when braking or electronic power steering just turns off? I've had the latter happen, and I can tell you, it was nothing like steering an old car without power steering.
I am hoping that the new scout will be similar to other EVs in the VW group and have Apple/android car play support. this would mean that 3rd party software would not be installed into the main computer's systems. This will allow for apple/android to run the fun apps like spotify/waze or other things off of the user's phone and allow for the main computer to remain safe. (unlike tesla which doesn't support car play...different discussion)

It also sounds like you don't have much 1st hand knowledge/experience when it comes to EVs. from my personal experience i have experienced 2 glitches with my tesla in the 2+ years of owing it. One time the screen didn't turn on, and the second time the screen got completely frozen. I was still able to drive but i just was "driving blind" similar to the situation you described with your ICE. The first time i was in my driveway leaving, and the second time i was driving home and was only about 10 minutes away from my house. Both times all i had to do was a "soft reset" where i press the brake and the two buttons on the steering wheel until the tesla logo appears on the screen. Both times it was fixed within the 1–2-minute boot up.

I think better programming would help. Okay, a steering angle sensor isn't reading. Fine, instead of turning off the steering or the whole vehicle, put the vehicle in a limited limp mode where the vehicle reads wheel speed sensors instead to get an idea of whats happening enough to limp it to safety. Most of these automakers are flying by the seat of their pants in software development now and rushing to try to keep up while sacrificing safety. This applies to both ICE and EV makers alike. Nobody cares about the nitty gritty, they just want a pretty UI nowadays, until it bites them.
I am not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain that a direct physical connection to steering components is required by law. So all EVs still have direct connection to the rack & pinion steering mechanisms...just like ICE cars they simply have electric assists to make the steering easier.

In the event of a catastrophic failure EVs don't just shut down and leave you stranded. There have been cases I've seen where someone is driving, and their battery pack had a critical failure. the vehicle was put into a "limp" mode...it basically slowed the maximum speed, put on hazards, and put plenty of warnings on the screen telling the driver to pull over to a safe area immediately.

If you have some real examples of EV software developers "sacrificing" safety I would be very interested in hearing it instead of hearing generalizations and theories.

Ok let address the elephant in the chat room, EV’s that are being forced upon the market by artificial forces. The LAST thing a new Scout III needs? Is total EV power! I’m more of the plug in hybrid type, that is retired and has short under 20-25 mile trips daily, plus have a very substantial Solar Generation Home System that produces much more into the grid than a currently use. So a plug in makes sense, but only one that has the natural range an ICE will accommodate. If they build a total electric Scout III, then will alienate half the market! If they build plug in hybrids? I feel they will sell many more, that will in turn lower the prices through economy in numbers. I don’t mean some fragile front wheel drive platform with an electric motor running the rear in times of need. But an actual rear wheel drive platform, with an electric motor sandwiched in between a nice modern ICE, and into an actual auto transmission and transfer case. That would be capable of a min of 20-30 miles of electric driving before the ICE kicks in. Oh yea we don’t need 1,000 HP! Either! But how about matching the highest output of the 345? That being around 160 hp my 78 had. With at least 350 lbs ft tq, that should be easy enough for a modern ICE to double with the help of an electric motor!?

• Love
Reactions: Tuff66
While I don't generally like TFL(I won't go into why unless asked), this video came up.

This needs to be on Scout Motors' radar, because this is the ultimate cautionary tale.

THIS will not only turn people off of EVs, but this ABSOLUTELY will sour people from EVER buying a GM EV. People are fickle and jaded, and this only reinforces what they think they know.

Please make the warranty good for this very reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: IdahoJOAT
Ok let address the elephant in the chat room, EV’s that are being forced upon the market by artificial forces. The LAST thing a new Scout III needs? Is total EV power! I’m more of the plug in hybrid type, that is retired and has short under 20-25 mile trips daily, plus have a very substantial Solar Generation Home System that produces much more into the grid than a currently use. So a plug in makes sense, but only one that has the natural range an ICE will accommodate. If they build a total electric Scout III, then will alienate half the market! If they build plug in hybrids? I feel they will sell many more, that will in turn lower the prices through economy in numbers. I don’t mean some fragile front wheel drive platform with an electric motor running the rear in times of need. But an actual rear wheel drive platform, with an electric motor sandwiched in between a nice modern ICE, and into an actual auto transmission and transfer case. That would be capable of a min of 20-30 miles of electric driving before the ICE kicks in. Oh yea we don’t need 1,000 HP! Either! But how about matching the highest output of the 345? That being around 160 hp my 78 had. With at least 350 lbs ft tq, that should be easy enough for a modern ICE to double with the help of an electric motor!?

There might have been an elephant in the room if this was a discussion "pre-2020", but not anymore. Pure EV is the way this is going, and there are a ton of reasons why that is a good thing. I actually view this as Scout "capitalizing on an opportunity".

In terms of the warranty, I would 100% agree, and the warranty was one very important factor in my decision to take a chance with Rivian. This will be equally important for those taking an initial chance on SM.

Isn't it a federal requirement for manufacturers to provide an 8-year Warranty on the battery and propulsion systems? Well, I can actually answer my own questions, it is. That's what I was told when I was buying my Bolt EUV, and I looked it up just now, it is a Federal Government Requirement. 8 years or 100,000 miles. It's a pretty good warranty. In CA it's actually 10 years and 150K miles.

For most EV buyers, the biggest worry is the battery. It's the most expensive component, and having that 8-year warranty did make a decision to buy an EV easier for me. Another, related concern is a battery degradation. I don't remember where I read it, but there were some tests done on Teslas, and after 100,000 miles, their batteries lost less than 10% of their original capacity. There were some other articles comparing cost of ownership of an EV, vs ICE, and even if you do have to replace that battery at some points, there is a very high chance it will still be cheaper to own overall vs an ICE vehicle with all the maintenance and repairs over time. (a side note, I used to spend $200 per month on gas, now I spend around $20-30 on electricity for the same use case)

Anyway, the point is, EVs are actually a much safer bet than most people assume or realize. Not that Hummer though, the TFL got really unlucky with that unit:)

PS. Also, EVs are not the only cars that heavily rely on computers and software these days. A modern car can have up to 1500 microchips in it, on average. I don't even know what they do with them, do they have microchips in window switches now? I think for the most part, the amount of computing power and reliance on software is probably about the same in any modern vehicle.

(actually it's a rabbit hole, in some cars they do have semiconductors for power windows, and everything else. I'll need to do some digging into that one)