How much personalization/modification ability do you want to see in the new Scout?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
This is by far one of the most annoying parts about buying a car are the packages.....
-If you give me a list of options let me choose those without requiring me to buy an entire package. Just because i want to upgrade my ifotainment system doesn't mean i want to buy the whole "technology package" that costs $7,000 that gives me remote start and interior mood lighting. I understand that sometimes one option being tied to another option is required...such as off road suspension might need an upgrade to the drive train....or a towing package might require AWD (ford Maverick and VW id 4).

In my packages should be a bundle of similar options that may or may not be required together, then put together as a slight discount. This might encourage someone to buy a package that has 1 or 2 options that they may or may not needs but might take because they want the other 4 things in the package.

Options should be able to be selected alone without requiring any other options. If it requires another option it shouldn't be listed alone.

To piggy back on this part too. I don't mind paying extra for colors, but one thing i hate that VW does is locking colors behind trim levels. As an example the Base Id4 only has base White, Grey, and black colors and you need to go up 1 or 2 trim levels to "unlock" the Blue or the Red colors.

This goes also to my problem with packages. If i want the base model in blue why should i have to upgrade the trim level when the upgraded trim comes with leather seats or other things that i don't want.

Honestly there is zero reason for a paint limitation. During the manufacturing proccess the vehicle isn't assembled at all when it is painted, so what difference does it make if the metal gets painted blue or white...it doesn't affect what gets installed after.

I really hope that the scout will have all colors available to all trim packages for escalating costs depending on the factors of the pigments.

I will say that i understand if they want to reserve a single color for the highest trim....but the tiered blocking is something i can't stand.
100% agree on your thoughts and have posted similarly on other threads. I will add a bit that maybe there are a couple of special colors only available on a heritage or Ralleye or monster Off-road package that makes them more limited but agree the 90% of colors should be available on ALL models. Not that I would buy it-but a killer black-out package would be cool too. Always like the look of a blackout package with great, unique rims. I just don’t want to keep it clean so I wouldn’t buy it but would love it if my neighbor does 😀
I also think a couple limited colors for first run buyers (hint, hint) would be great so us early adopters could have something that is much more unique. Like when Range Rover offered a unique interior with houndstooth seats. Just a couple items that scream heritage and separate us from the late adopters

So this may sound a bit dumb and frivolous but RGB interior accent lighting is really cool, especially if you can have two different colours. I thought it was gimmicky in my Ioniq 5 but turns out it's really cool and you can really personalize the feel of the car. The Ioniq 6 does one even better than my car letting owners choose two different colours. They can be linked to drive mode so they turn green in "eco" mode, red in "sport" mode etc. Or you can pick a colour using a colour wheel. They're a nice touch and everyone who gets in my car seems pleasantly surprised by them and I often get a "cool!!".

Just something to consider. Interior lighting is necessary and LEDs make it so it can be pretty cool-looking as well.

My two cents are if you offer packages to have a “heritage” package that is the removable top, factory moderately aggressive lift, carpet delete, rain resistant interior, perhaps more minimal electronics with what digital displays used mimic heritage or retro design. Then to have other more “standard” call-them-what-you-will, packages that have carpet and the sort. I know you have done likely high value market research and you know your target group already…I don’t know if the “heritage” package I speak of would line up with that but for good will you should offer something like that (I think).

Customizability really depends on volume and market opportunity…some of this comes from seeding the market I think with the right information…for example: don’t be and EV, be an off-road vehicle that is an EV…another example is OEM tires listed should be LT tires or Costco for example will refuse to mount LT tires to customers vehicles…getting the right information into the right databases, manuals, and people.

Don’t be VW and not understand what a WD hitch is and spread inconsistent information regarding its use. It shouldn’t freak out the Europeans just because of the Euro trailer industry banned WD because they wanted to keep the US trailer manufactures out….I know different topic but a real issue why euro cars don’t outright state you can use WD…

On the truck: people that tow need different mirrors, prewired brake controllers, and an actual plug at the back that meets standard US 7 pin rv… and on and on…

Last edited:
Some other thoughts and perhaps this isn’t the right place but this made me think:

The “heritage” package (post above) I think is a driver to most folks that buy. For example when people think Jeep they don’t see a stock wrangler…they see something lifted with big tires and no top…this is free marketing basically for the majority that don’t end up buying that.

Then I thought can you have a center point, rear motor driven winch that uses a system like flat bed recovery trucks use to pull from a side or back based on how the cable is secured in different channels (let out under vehicle and run up to desired port and then fed through)? Basically a center point going to front or back sides and either corner…mechanically I think this is possible with a guide wheel the pivots in the direction the resistance is coming from and then feeding back to the spool. Before off-roading you can let it out and hook it to the front port in the bumper and from there move as needed or as possible (deep mud for example). Also should be able to drive with this out…no nanny crap. Probably stupid idea, but have to ask if possible would be first I heard of.

On rubber floor, what about selling full kits front, middle, rear that match the build paint color and then just black (obviously white and lighter colors wouldn’t work here). They could go in anything rubber floor or not and would be factory fit and latched in so they don’t move around.

So this may sound a bit dumb and frivolous but RGB interior accent lighting is really cool, especially if you can have two different colours. I thought it was gimmicky in my Ioniq 5 but turns out it's really cool and you can really personalize the feel of the car. The Ioniq 6 does one even better than my car letting owners choose two different colours. They can be linked to drive mode so they turn green in "eco" mode, red in "sport" mode etc. Or you can pick a colour using a colour wheel. They're a nice touch and everyone who gets in my car seems pleasantly surprised by them and I often get a "cool!!".

Just something to consider. Interior lighting is necessary and LEDs make it so it can be pretty cool-looking as well.
My iX has this feature and the family likes it.

Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

How much personalization/modification ability do you want to see in the new Scout?

This can be anything from colors and trim, to aftermarket modifications, interchangeable parts of the car, and more.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
The interior would be nice to modify the different screens beyond just the themes. It's really annoying to have a Tuscadero Jeep and then see a white jeep on the screen when we're doing things. Seriously. How hard is it to match the on screen vehicle to what was ordered?

The exterior: Bumpers, grill and fenders need to be able to swap easily. Most off-roaders do this almost off the show-room floor.

Standard stuff :)

Apologies, I'm much more of a "that's a good idea" or "that's not a good idea" kind of guy. I play well and help mold ideas more than dream them up. I get new ideas as I'm using an item.

The more mods the better. I would like 15" black steel wheels and my daughter would like 20" fancy wheels. There is no reason we both can't be right.
Also- vintage throwback options like body decals and gas tank holders. I mean heck, go crazy with the options... we will buy them and create a cult!

Reactions: ddg520
The more mods the better. I would like 15" black steel wheels and my daughter would like 20" fancy wheels. There is no reason we both can't be right.
Also- vintage throwback options like body decals and gas tank holders. I mean heck, go crazy with the options... we will buy them and create a cult!
Yeah. That'd be cool. Besides first year badges which I'm sure they'll have WE should all be able to have a scout motors community forum special badge for contributing.

Regarding shipping wheels-I feel like that topic was discussed at one point. I seem to recall Jamie commenting there were some safety/DOT issues with doing that. I do think they could provide a basic spare tire rim and super cheap tires and you could take the credit on when configuring build. Would still need to toss or sell tires and rims but if sized smaller maybe other car/vehicles would fit and make it easier to donate/sell cheap like 17”. Then you could install custom wheels.
I want 17" wheels period. I have 21" rims on my Q7 and while they look great -- they are for on-road driving only. A Scout needs something with more sidewall. I also like what Ford is doing with the Bronco and F-150 Raptor -- they come with wheels featuring a "bead-lock" style trim ring that can be swapped with factory accessory parts to be true bead-lock off-road wheels.

I am sure they will do market analysis - but a lot will depend on how they ultimately want to market the vehicle. If you market through dealerships with inventory - packages end up making sense. You need pre-defined trim models for inventory. If you market direct, you can open up customization a lot more. As an added benefit - you don't have the cost of maintaining inventory.

I quite shopping off of lots a long time ago. I figured out what I wanted on my truck - and told the dealership to either find it or order it (I was forced to accept 1 option I absolutely did not want - but was not willing to wait on a full custom order and pay more to have it deleted). We figured out what we wanted on our JL and did a checklist for the order. The real question is how many options they want to offer - but some people will want what they want.
---
As for 90% of the buyers not wanting to modify it - have you actually looked at Jeep Wranglers on the road? Base models without mods barely exist. Some people might prefer to do their mods through the factory, others want to take the time and effort (lots of effort sometimes) to do them aftermarket. The only non-factory mod currently on our JLURD is tires... Eventually it might get an aftermarket bumper and comms - but only because my LJ has both (but my LJ is becoming more after market than stock parts it seems). But I will admit - car buyers seem to be a lot less concerned with modifications. Wrangler buyers the most. About 50% of the trucks I see have been modified, but that might just be where I live. Cars are utility, trucks might be utility or lifestyle, Wranglers are all about lifestyle.

Reactions: J Alynn and ddg520
I am sure they will do market analysis - but a lot will depend on how they ultimately want to market the vehicle. If you market through dealerships with inventory - packages end up making sense. You need pre-defined trim models for inventory. If you market direct, you can open up customization a lot more. As an added benefit - you don't have the cost of maintaining inventory.

I quite shopping off of lots a long time ago. I figured out what I wanted on my truck - and told the dealership to either find it or order it (I was forced to accept 1 option I absolutely did not want - but was not willing to wait on a full custom order and pay more to have it deleted). We figured out what we wanted on our JL and did a checklist for the order. The real question is how many options they want to offer - but some people will want what they want.
---
As for 90% of the buyers not wanting to modify it - have you actually looked at Jeep Wranglers on the road? Base models without mods barely exist. Some people might prefer to do their mods through the factory, others want to take the time and effort (lots of effort sometimes) to do them aftermarket. The only non-factory mod currently on our JLURD is tires... Eventually it might get an aftermarket bumper and comms - but only because my LJ has both (but my LJ is becoming more after market than stock parts it seems). But I will admit - car buyers seem to be a lot less concerned with modifications. Wrangler buyers the most. About 50% of the trucks I see have been modified, but that might just be where I live. Cars are utility, trucks might be utility or lifestyle, Wranglers are all about lifestyle.
That's pretty accurate.

Reactions: J Alynn
Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

This can be anything from colors and trim, to aftermarket modifications, interchangeable parts of the car, and more.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
The more the merrier. The original Scouts were extremely customizable from the factory and aftermarket. Adding winches, front bumpers, rear bumpers, tire-carriers, fender flares, etc. would be cool, although it would be cooler if those were base options. Also seeing packages that are similar to the originals, like the Ralleye stripe package would be very cool, especially if the design is similar to a Scout II. Being able to add tailgate inserts or blacked out grilles like the super scouts would be cool. I have always considered the old scouts to be like legos, you can take them apart and match things in a million ways, and no two scouts are the same.