How much personalization/modification ability do you want to see in the new Scout?

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

How much personalization/modification ability do you want to see in the new Scout?

This can be anything from colors and trim, to aftermarket modifications, interchangeable parts of the car, and more.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie

-I don’t off road so I don’t have much to offer as those mods go.
-I’m new to EV so I have little input other that 375-400 mile range-no load/hauling decreases figured into that since that will significantly impact range would be amazing
-I would like flexibility to pick my exterior color, pick my top type and color. Pick my interior color and pick from several wheel/ rim choices. I think package options should be features and core items but I don’t think if I pick tier three I should be stuck with black interior, black top and tire/rim ‘C’. This is under VWG so if Audi can do it so can Scout
-I still hope there are interchangeable grilles that are slightly modernized versions of Scouts past
-headlights that have the warm/cool LED light option

-I don’t off road so I don’t have much to offer as those mods go.
-I’m new to EV so I have little input other that 375-400 mile range-no load/hauling decreases figured into that since that will significantly impact range would be amazing
-I would like flexibility to pick my exterior color, pick my top type and color. Pick my interior color and pick from several wheel/ rim choices. I think package options should be features and core items but I don’t think if I pick tier three I should be stuck with black interior, black top and tire/rim ‘C’. This is under VWG so if Audi can do it so can Scout
-I still hope there are interchangeable grilles that are slightly modernized versions of Scouts past
-headlights that have the warm/cool LED light option
I'm in the same boat as you, being able to select the colour of the top separate from the body would be great. Getting locked into very specific interiors and the like just for choosing a higher tier vehicle would be horrible. I'd love to be able to fully remove second row seats or at least fold completly flat in the SUV. With the 4 door variants being able to take off doors isn't a big issue but would be fun to still have the possibility.

I think the interchangeable grill is a cool feature that will make the Scout that much more unique and different compared to the competition plus helps hold on to the nostalgia of the old scouts. Probably not wanted by most but I think allowing for the possibility for the frunk to hinge at the front might be interesting.

Short answer is, the more configurable the better. However it would be cool if the options to choose included things that are part of the price and don't require an upcharge (exterior paint, rims, interior color, etc.). I am in he market for a new car now and it gets exhausting reviewing all the options. Why do I need to pay extra for packages like navigation, parking assistance (cameras), blind-spot detection, backseat climate control, wireless charging or a hitch mount?
I understand offering packages for things people may not want or need like climate packages for cold areas, running boards, window shades, roof ladder, painted calipers, etc.

One idea that I haven’t seen on here yet is shipping wheels. In the tractor world it’s not uncommon to have a new tractor come in on wooden wheels because the owner wants a custom option or something they already own. I don’t think wood is the answer, but some cheap wheels and rubber to roll on until the customer puts on their own wheels would be good. Then the wheels are returned to Scout to use again. It would save money and cut down on waste. I usually like factory wheels, but we all know there will be plenty of people that put on aftermarket wheels and tires.

Lots of color options as has already been suggested.

White top, black top, body color top, soft tops.

More than just black or tan interior colors.

Carpet delete option.

Maybe bumper delete option, or have different bumper options to accommodate grill guards and winches.

Make the screens on the interior configurable. I love this in the BMW iX. You could have vintage looking gauges one day, off road camera view the next day. Then change to energy views, etc etc. it keeps the vehicle feeling fresh longer.

Basically, within reason, don’t make the customer order something they just don’t want.

@Jamie@ScoutMotors unless I missed it I'm not sure I/we know exactly who Scout is aspiring to compete with and what demographic you're going after. My feeling is that this will affect the outcome of many of these questions. If that is still to-be-determined that's ok too. However your customer base for the Defender/G-Wagon/Grenadier is likely to be different from that of the Bronco/Jeep which will be different from that of BMW/Volvo/Porsche, etc. These categories are just ICE categories, EV may attract another demographic.
Perhaps you could weigh in?

Reactions: Joda
The chances that I would actually do any of these modifications are very low but the only thing i could see myself modifying is the bumper to incorporate a winch for work / recovery purposes.

While brainstorming for this question i was trying to think about all of the things that people modify in their jeeps because IMO jeeps are one of the most personalization vehicles out there. But part of that has to do with the disregard for aerodynamics in the design. (i'm not knocking it...but aerodynamics aren't a concern for the jeep wrangler design team). But things like the rear lights are just boxes that people can unbolt and add different covers, or add lights under the spare wheel.

Most of the things that one can "unbolt" and "slap on your own" are not very aerodynamic things, such as fender flairs, grills, rear view mirrors etc.....I think in order to make a Scout customizable to that degree it would mean that the components have to be easily accessible with Home Garage tools.....this would likely make the stock Scout a bulky appearance and would harm the aerodynamics of it.

I hope i did a good job of explaining whats in my head...came out kind of in chunks.

The chances that I would actually do any of these modifications are very low but the only thing i could see myself modifying is the bumper to incorporate a winch for work / recovery purposes.

While brainstorming for this question i was trying to think about all of the things that people modify in their jeeps because IMO jeeps are one of the most personalization vehicles out there. But part of that has to do with the disregard for aerodynamics in the design. (i'm not knocking it...but aerodynamics aren't a concern for the jeep wrangler design team). But things like the rear lights are just boxes that people can unbolt and add different covers, or add lights under the spare wheel.

Most of the things that one can "unbolt" and "slap on your own" are not very aerodynamic things, such as fender flairs, grills, rear view mirrors etc.....I think in order to make a Scout customizable to that degree it would mean that the components have to be easily accessible with Home Garage tools.....this would likely make the stock Scout a bulky appearance and would harm the aerodynamics of it.

I hope i did a good job of explaining whats in my head...came out kind of in chunks.
One cool thing on the Bronco is they provide a small tool kit with Allen like wrenches (star pattern). Typically, any area/item that is likely to be mod’d can be done with the tools in the pouch. Makes for a lot less thinking for those of us who are bit less mechanically inclined.

One idea that I haven’t seen on here yet is shipping wheels. In the tractor world it’s not uncommon to have a new tractor come in on wooden wheels because the owner wants a custom option or something they already own. I don’t think wood is the answer, but some cheap wheels and rubber to roll on until the customer puts on their own wheels would be good. Then the wheels are returned to Scout to use again. It would save money and cut down on waste. I usually like factory wheels, but we all know there will be plenty of people that put on aftermarket wheels and tires.

Lots of color options as has already been suggested.

White top, black top, body color top, soft tops.

More than just black or tan interior colors.

Carpet delete option.

Maybe bumper delete option, or have different bumper options to accommodate grill guards and winches.

Make the screens on the interior configurable. I love this in the BMW iX. You could have vintage looking gauges one day, off road camera view the next day. Then change to energy views, etc etc. it keeps the vehicle feeling fresh longer.

Basically, within reason, don’t make the customer order something they just don’t want.
Regarding shipping wheels-I feel like that topic was discussed at one point. I seem to recall Jamie commenting there were some safety/DOT issues with doing that. I do think they could provide a basic spare tire rim and super cheap tires and you could take the credit on when configuring build. Would still need to toss or sell tires and rims but if sized smaller maybe other car/vehicles would fit and make it easier to donate/sell cheap like 17”. Then you could install custom wheels.

I personally think this particular topic is key to doing something unique with a new motor company.....and even more so with the Scout. A repeated theme throughout this (and other) forums is that many Scout enthusiast want a very plain, basic, less expensive model. Yet, in today’s world, how well would that really sell to the masses? .....unless.....you made each trim level start at that plain, basic, less expensive model, allowing each individual to decided what items in the Scout Store were important to them. Hence, VERY customizable!

My previous post helps explain a few of my thoughts on this - https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/accessories-aftermarket.93/post-1133 I still say a well thought out wiring harness is key! One wiring harness installed on all Scouts that will leave a female plug end close by for any future installed items. Plug it in, maybe do an update via wifi on the app or touch screen, drink a beer, get back on the Scout Store app to see what the next upgrade will be :) .

One way to maybe look at this is that the Jeep Wrangler is very customizable with an infinite number of aftermarket products. All of which attract many buyers just because it allows them to put their own take on their vehicle. I would hope to see the future Scout world do the same; however, the difference being it starts from day one on the assembly line with the Scout build......and continues on from there.

Regarding modifications: It's probably safe to say that 70-80% (maybe more??) of the buyers are not looking to do any major mods to their Scout. However, I still believe that this is a very important puzzle piece in continuing to grow the Scout community. It is honestly hard enough to get some of the current Scout community on board with the idea of a modern Scout (crazy to me 🤯), but if you were to somehow take away the ability (or reasonable ability) for them to modify their rigs it would for sure put a bad taste in their mouth. Now, if you flip that script and promote that the new Scout was built from the frame up with thought put into the ability to make modifications. I think you could continue to reel in and grow the Scout community by keeping true with the Scout we have all come to know and love.

Ok Scouts,

Our interface designers and engineers are looking for some more feedback from all of you and this time it is on:

This can be anything from colors and trim, to aftermarket modifications, interchangeable parts of the car, and more.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Jamie
I’m all for making the truck unique and how I like it, but if it is an overly complicated process or takes a long time I wouldn’t ever mess with it.

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
@Jamie@ScoutMotors unless I missed it I'm not sure I/we know exactly who Scout is aspiring to compete with and what demographic you're going after. My feeling is that this will affect the outcome of many of these questions. If that is still to-be-determined that's ok too. However your customer base for the Defender/G-Wagon/Grenadier is likely to be different from that of the Bronco/Jeep which will be different from that of BMW/Volvo/Porsche, etc. These categories are just ICE categories, EV may attract another demographic.
Perhaps you could weigh in?
Great approach. My hope would be that Scout Motors be bold in their decision making and define a new market segment. The original Scouts were just meant to be a reliable and capable "farm" truck. Luxury was never a goal, neither was greatest rock-crawler ever. Just please build a good, reliable, capable EV that will mostly be driven on country roads, but will occasionally tackle a mountain trail.

I would like to see a ton of "bolt on" accessories and/or options. I'm talking about factory available attachment points for add-on “things”. Factory holes on the bumper for a winch, mounting spots for a grab bar with your favorite sporting team logo on it, attachment point for a CB radio for owners who want to go retro, factory bolt holes for a roll cage, exterior mounts for a jerry can (for carrying water of course, lol). Don’t use a proprietary, complicated, overly designed, patented interlocking system. Just nuts and bolts (metric please).

Scout Motors should certainly offer factory accessories, but please embrace and/or create a 3rd party aftermarket accessory community.

Short answer is, the more configurable the better. However it would be cool if the options to choose included things that are part of the price and don't require an upcharge (exterior paint, rims, interior color, etc.). I am in he market for a new car now and it gets exhausting reviewing all the options. Why do I need to pay extra for packages like navigation, parking assistance (cameras), blind-spot detection, backseat climate control, wireless charging or a hitch mount?
I understand offering packages for things people may not want or need like climate packages for cold areas, running boards, window shades, roof ladder, painted calipers, etc.
I would definitely have to agree with this statement. Tons of vehicles in America offer certain key options grouped into packages that a customer may not be completely interested in, whereas in Europe you can have a vehicle as base as possible.
I think letting the customer have complete control over what additional options are on the Scout will help them differ from each other and keep them unique. (Like Porsche)

Vehicles like the Bronco have far too many models. Ford already had to discontinue some, apparently in an effort to catch up with orders. Some of the models make little sense.

I say just have one model that is highly user configurable. It’s a great customer experience to feel like you are spec-ing something exactly the way you want and creating something seemingly unique. This should be much easier to implement with Direct to Consumer sales.

Some things should be standard on all models such as AC. Why Ford made a base Bronco with no AC is beyond me You can literally die in some parts of America without it. What’s the point of a vehicle made for exploration if you can’t drive it to places that get hot? No wonder they have stopped selling the base model.

There could always be pre-set configurations that provide different starting points or rotating featured configurations.

It would be kind of cool to have vehicles configured for specific purposes. The lifeguards here in Southern California are sponsored by Toyota. That makes me wonder, what would a Scout set up for beach patrol look like? What about one designed for Park Rangers or the US ForestService etc.

Reactions: JohnBills
Vehicles like the Bronco have far too many models. Ford already had to discontinue some, apparently in an effort to catch up with orders. Some of the models make little sense.

I say just have one model that is highly user configurable. It’s a great customer experience to feel like you are spec-ing something exactly the way you want and creating something seemingly unique. This should be much easier to implement with Direct to Consumer sales.

Some things should be standard on all models such as AC. Why Ford made a base Bronco with no AC is beyond me You can literally die in some parts of America without it. What’s the point of a vehicle made for exploration if you can’t drive it to places that get hot? No wonder they have stopped selling the base model.

There could always be pre-set configurations that provide different starting points or rotating featured configurations.

It would be kind of cool to have vehicles configured for specific purposes. The lifeguards here in Southern California are sponsored by Toyota. That makes me wonder, what would a Scout set up for beach patrol look like? What about one designed for Park Rangers or the US ForestService etc.
The choice for no AC in the base Bronco was bonkers. I agree that decision fatigue is problematic and part of Tesla's success is that their options are very limited making the order process incredibly simple. Customizing a Porsche or an Audi would be exciting but when I've tried it online, the amount of options is dizzying and hard to keep track of. Give me a good package that gets me started and can be a platform that I can add to over time as I find what I like and what works.

Reactions: J Alynn
The choice for no AC in the base Bronco was bonkers. I agree that decision fatigue is problematic and part of Tesla's success is that their options are very limited making the order process incredibly simple. Customizing a Porsche or an Audi would be exciting but when I've tried it online, the amount of options is dizzying and hard to keep track of. Give me a good package that gets me started and can be a platform that I can add to over time as I find what I like and what works.
I agree with your thoughts, however, I’ve been in the building industry for years doing residential design. Statistically speaking 90% of buyers don’t want massive options. Most selectable items in a house are narrowed to a handful. Here’s your 3 or 4 cabinet styles and 4 or 5 finishes. Production at this scale becomes overwhelming to manage inventory/shipping/supply constraints, etc…. I would love to have the ability to choose all the options in my car but realistically it becomes cost prohibitive on most items. Scout would offer a starting model at $26K and majority of buyers would build to $60K then be pissed because it’s over budget. Don’t get me wrong-as a designer I can handle all those choices but most people can’t or get frustrated as @JohnBills stated. That ultimately turns in to lost sales. People’s nature is to accept something inferior to what they desire rather than becoming stuck by “paralysis by analysis”.
I think Audi does a great job and I posted this in an earlier thread. Great number of individual options but not too many. Then if you want “coach built” you pay them $5-8K over price and get to hand select interior and exterior. You can’t offer that at the volume Scout Motors needs to produce and make profits.
Perhaps since they are talking about a delivery experience to accept model and drive it, etc…. At the plant They should offer a coach build option (Audi does it, Bugatti and exotics do it-Acura sorta does it with the PMC editions) Maybe you pay $8K more and you pick and choose from all available items. I’d probably eat that cost to have a truly one off custom. Then they could plaque it with a SM##### interior badge and your build gets locked down and nobody else could duplicate your build. That would be truly one-off for an off-road capable vehicle. Maybe they include a weekend stay in Charleston and figure out a way to let you drive it on the beach as icing on the cake

Many of the configurable options should also be available separately in a factory store for just about the same price they cost at the time of vehicle purchase. These would be things moderately competent users can install themselves and would come with good instructions. This arrangement would help to close sales because prospective buyers can more easily close on the vehicle they can afford at the time with the knowledge that they can easily add certain things later.

After-market third party modification can be encouraged in a responsible way by providing documentation and some design guidance. For example mounting points available for attaching parts/accessories should have documented load ratings. Also the position of sensors should be documented and the dimensions of a window to be left open around the sensor should be specified in order for it to work properly.

To answer the original question- the maximum. I would like to see a multitude of color choices for the exterior. I would pay extra (to a point) for the option to order a custom color from the factory. I would like multiple interior color choices and cloth/MGV/leather material choices (I want MGV).
As far as the discussion about option and option packaging, I'm a value shopper. I prefer a la carte options when they're fairly priced but I also love option packages that have what I want, bundled at a discount. I don't like option packages that pull in too many things that I don't care about and bump the price up. The Bronco "trims" and available option packages drove me nuts. I actually built a spreadsheet to figure out which one I wanted before I decided to wait. The base with Sasquatch made the most sense to me even though I wanted the MGV with washout interior.
As far as modifications, follow Jeep and Bronco as far as ease of removing/replacing parts.

Last edited:
As far as the discussion about option and option packaging, I'm a value shopper. I prefer a la carte options when they're fairly priced but I also love option packages that have what I want, bundled at a discount. I don't like option packages that pull in too many things that I don't care about and bump the price up. The Bronco "trims" and available option packages drove me nuts. I actually built a spreadsheet to figure out which one I wanted before I decide to wait. The base with Sasquatch made the most sense to me even though I wanted the MGV with washout interior.
As far as modifications, follow Jeep and Bronco as far as ease of removing/replacing parts.
This is by far one of the most annoying parts about buying a car are the packages.....
-If you give me a list of options let me choose those without requiring me to buy an entire package. Just because i want to upgrade my ifotainment system doesn't mean i want to buy the whole "technology package" that costs $7,000 that gives me remote start and interior mood lighting. I understand that sometimes one option being tied to another option is required...such as off road suspension might need an upgrade to the drive train....or a towing package might require AWD (ford Maverick and VW id 4).

In my packages should be a bundle of similar options that may or may not be required together, then put together as a slight discount. This might encourage someone to buy a package that has 1 or 2 options that they may or may not needs but might take because they want the other 4 things in the package.

Options should be able to be selected alone without requiring any other options. If it requires another option it shouldn't be listed alone.
To answer the original question- the maximum. I would like to see a multitude of color choices for the exterior. I would pay extra (to a point) for the option to order a custom color from the factory.
To piggy back on this part too. I don't mind paying extra for colors, but one thing i hate that VW does is locking colors behind trim levels. As an example the Base Id4 only has base White, Grey, and black colors and you need to go up 1 or 2 trim levels to "unlock" the Blue or the Red colors.

This goes also to my problem with packages. If i want the base model in blue why should i have to upgrade the trim level when the upgraded trim comes with leather seats or other things that i don't want.

Honestly there is zero reason for a paint limitation. During the manufacturing proccess the vehicle isn't assembled at all when it is painted, so what difference does it make if the metal gets painted blue or white...it doesn't affect what gets installed after.

I really hope that the scout will have all colors available to all trim packages for escalating costs depending on the factors of the pigments.

I will say that i understand if they want to reserve a single color for the highest trim....but the tiered blocking is something i can't stand.