Front Hinged Hood

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
Someone mentioned to incorporate the Scout's unique hood style, which we all love. Most EV trucks made use the old engine bay for a storage space. I personally love the ones that have incorporated a built in cooler (might even throw out the idea of speakers and/or TV for tailgating). Question becomes how do you make the design of a front hinge hood and the access to the front storage area work?

Throwing this out there for ideas/replies from the Scout community to build on.

I'd like a little ICE to generate power to the batteries.

Someone mentioned to incorporate the Scout's unique hood style, which we all love. Most EV trucks made use the old engine bay for a storage space. I personally love the ones that have incorporated a built in cooler (might even throw out the idea of speakers and/or TV for tailgating). Question becomes how do you make the design of a front hinge hood and the access to the front storage area work?

Throwing this out there for ideas/replies from the Scout community to build on.
The 80/800 has a rear-hinged hood... no reason to add an obstacle to a cargo area. I couldn't imagine lifting a heavy bag over a high front fender & through the triangle formed with the open hood.

I always found the front-hinged hoods on our Terra and 79 Scout II to be rather a pain in the ass when trying to climb into the engine bay.

The 80/800 has a rear-hinged hood... no reason to add an obstacle to a cargo area. I couldn't imagine lifting a heavy bag over a high front fender & through the triangle formed with the open hood.

I always found the front-hinged hoods on our Terra and 79 Scout II to be rather a pain in the ass when trying to climb into the engine bay.
Agree, just seems like a good way to scratch something up trying to load heavy crap into the storage area.

Lets hope they add a "frunk" at all. The european EVs haven't seemed to really embrace under the hood as a storage area as much as say Ford or Tesla.

ID 4 vs Mach E for example:

volkswagen-id.4.webp
1668695360189.jpeg

I do not think the front hinged hood will work for the new Scout. I agree that it needs a frunk and that necessitates rear hinges.

ford-f150-lightning-mega-power-frunk-compared-to-regular-f150.jpg

Rear hinged for proper and more useful frunk. I see these is not a lot of love for Ford in this forum, but they got the Frunk right. Rivian... not so much.

As a height-challenged person, I've got to agree with the Lightning's frunk access being, well, accessible compared to most.

Reactions: kleeofus
ford-f150-lightning-mega-power-frunk-compared-to-regular-f150.jpg

Rear hinged for proper and more useful frunk. I see these is not a lot of love for Ford in this forum, but they got the Frunk right. Rivian... not so much.
There's a half-dozen or so Lightnings (and a few electric Transit vans) working with a couple nearby vineyards near where I live, I see them every now and then. It's surprising to see one accelerate so quickly and quietly. Not expected from a truck until I saw the light bar across the front. Ford's leapt head-first into the Ag side of BEV use... something the Scout team could take to heart. There's a lot of demand for small, utilitarian contractor vehicles, both fleet and independent where I live, and many don't drive more than a hundred miles a day. I see old Rangers and Yodas everywhere that independent contractors have kept alive for decades, because there's nothing in the size range to replace them... the hilly forested roads can be a real PITA to access in a full-size pickup. If you crew a commercial fishing boat, waterfronts are a tight-squeeze too... I've experienced parking at Fisherman's Wharf (SF) in both a RAM 2500 and old Ford Ranger. Not fun in either, but the ranger was a much better option.

It would be a kick in the pants if Scout could pair with the U.S. Parks Dept. & offer fleet vehicles and chargers kitted out for the different needs at each individual National Park, and offer those builds to customers. A "Voyageurs Edition" with brush guards & Winter Package... or "Yosemite" with better rock-crawling ability, etc.

It would be a kick in the pants if Scout could pair with the U.S. Parks Dept. & offer fleet vehicles and chargers kitted out for the different needs at each individual National Park, and offer those builds to customers. A "Voyageurs Edition" with brush guards & Winter Package... or "Yosemite" with better rock-crawling ability, etc.
A great idea.