From The History Archives: Where the Scout II Was Headed

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Jamie@ScoutMotors

Scout Community Veteran
Staff member
1st Year Member
Nov 4, 2022
Chicago
www.scoutmotors.com
So in digging through the Scout archives, we unearthed a couple of original hand sketches by Larry Nicklin. The drawings themselves are labeled April 1980 and are presumably the direction International was headed with the Scout II facelift after dialing back a full Scout 3 replacement. None of it came to fruition as International Harvester made the decision to end Scout production.

These are in the Navistar Industrial Design Archives, and the label attached reads as follows:

"1984 Scout proposals: After the failure of the LXL and cancellation of International's light-line, an all-new Scout was envisioned. The program was later scaled back to a major facelift. But by the end of 1980, Scout had also been canceled as a product. "

DESIGN 1:

international-scout-4-80-concept1.jpg

international-scout-4-80-concept1rear.jpg

DESIGN 2:

international-scout-4-80-concept2.jpg

international-scout-4-80-concept2rear.jpg

Clearly International was headed in the quad-headlamp direction which was becoming very popular in the 1980s. According to the International Scout Encyclopedia, International Harvester was looking to take the Scout II upmarket to increase profitability. At that point in time SUVs had not started to gain significant traction in the car market and presumably IH saw moving the vehicle to a more premium segment as a means to profitablity. If only they had stuck with it a little while longer, they may have been well ahead of the curve.

Navistar notes on these mention that the full Scout 3 successor was dialed back and the above drawings were proposed facelifts of the Scout II. New model designations were also planned. The Scout II was going to become the Scout 350 with a letter suffix tacked on to designate the trim level: 350S for sport, 350SC for Sport Custom and 350DS for designer series. Not to far off from the Mercedes naming convention at the time.

Anyway, as Chris and I dig this stuff up, we'll try and take photos and post them up for everyone's enjoyment.

International-scout-enclyclopedia.png

If you are interested in Scout history, the International Scout Encyclopedia by Jim Allen and John Glancy is the definiative book. We highly recommend it. You can find it here:

Last edited:
Jamie
Seeing these old renders are great.
Got me thinking it could be a great approach for advertising campaigns. Either go vintage style or modern but get folks like Sketch Monkey and Chip Foos to draw their vision of an off-road scout once the vehicle is more finalized. Would play out the creative and vintage approach

So in digging through the Scout archives, we unearthed a couple of original hand sketches by Larry Nicklin. These are labeled April 1980 and are presumably the direction International was headed with the Scout II design:

View attachment 579

View attachment 580

Clearly International was headed in the quad-headlamp direction which was becoming very popular in the 1980s. According to the International Scout Encyclopedia, International Harvester was looking to take the Scout II upmarket to increase profitability. At that point in time SUVs had not started to gain significant traction in the car market and presumably IH saw moving the vehicle to a more premium segment as a means to profitablity. If only they had stuck with it a little while longer, they may have been well ahead of the curve.

New model designations were also planned. The Scout II was going to become the Scout 350 with a letter suffix tacked on to designate the trim level: 350S for sport, 350SC for Sport Custom and 350DS for designer series. Not to far off from the Mercedes naming convention at the time.

Anyway, as Chris and I dig this stuff up, we'll try and take photos and post them up for everyone's enjoyment.

View attachment 581

If you are interested in Scout history, the International Scout Encyclopedia by Jim Hall and John Glancy is the definiative book. We highly recommend it. You can find it here:

Jamie - Correction: It is Jim Allen not Jim Hall.

So in digging through the Scout archives, we unearthed a couple of original hand sketches by Larry Nicklin. These are labeled April 1980 and are presumably the direction International was headed with the Scout II design:

View attachment 579

View attachment 580

New model designations were also planned. The Scout II was going to become the Scout 350 with a letter suffix tacked on to designate the trim level: 350S for sport, 350SC for Sport Custom and 350DS for designer series. Not to far off from the Mercedes naming convention at the time.

View attachment 581

If you are interested in Scout history, the International Scout Encyclopedia by Jim Allen and John Glancy is the definiative book. We highly recommend it. You can find it here:

Preciate the images @Jamie@ScoutMotors . I just gotta say, a part of me is happy they discontinued, another part would like to give that a 2-3" lift and 33s. It just looks so... pedestrian.

Of the two I like the second one more, but then I think that's because it looks like a Blazer.

Preciate the images @Jamie@ScoutMotors . I just gotta say, a part of me is happy they discontinued, another part would like to give that a 2-3" lift and 33s. It just looks so... pedestrian.

Of the two I like the second one more, but then I think that's because it looks like a Blazer.
Just wait @IdahoJOAT, we have many more sketches and designs that never made it to production... interesting to see where things could have gone, and the progression of design over the decades.

Two things i really like from these sketches:

- Look at all that glass surrounding the whole cabin! if it is one thing modern EVs lack is good rear visibility.

- It looks like IH was already planning to slightly "unbox" the scout, i see subtle slope on the front grill and the windshield is fairly sloped.

that being said the original scouts look a lot better.

Tim Walz... both a Veteran (retired Master Sargent, like my Dad) and High School teacher (like my Mom) has excellent taste in vehicles. A couple shirt-tail cousins had him as a teacher in Mankato, MN... said he was the most inspiring teachers they'd ever had.

His DD is a traveler, I've seen him drive it in parades & campaign events.

If Scout Motors ever wanted a sympathetic State Governor who'd love to break ground and cut the ribbon at a new Scout factory, it's him.

Last edited:
Got some more backstory on these images. These are in the Navistar Industrial Design Archives, and the label attached reads as follows:

"1984 Scout proposals: After the failure of the LXL and cancellation of International's light-line, an all-new Scout was envisioned. The program was later scaled back to a major facelift. But by the end of 1980, Scout had also been canceled as a product. "

We also found rear drawings, which I've added above.

- jamie

So in digging through the Scout archives, we unearthed a couple of original hand sketches by Larry Nicklin. The drawings themselves are labeled April 1980 and are presumably the direction International was headed with the Scout II facelift after dialing back a full Scout 3 replacement. None of it came to fruition as International Harvester made the decision to end Scout production.

These are in the Navistar Industrial Design Archives, and the label attached reads as follows:

DESIGN 1:

View attachment 579

View attachment 623

DESIGN 2:

View attachment 580

View attachment 624

Navistar notes on these mention that the full Scout 3 successor was dialed back and the above drawings were proposed facelifts of the Scout II. New model designations were also planned. The Scout II was going to become the Scout 350 with a letter suffix tacked on to designate the trim level: 350S for sport, 350SC for Sport Custom and 350DS for designer series. Not to far off from the Mercedes naming convention at the time.

View attachment 581

This is a great post. I love seeing where they might have gone. To me, it's definitely a cross between the top half of a Range Rover P38 (circa 1994) and bottom half of an 80s S10 Blazer. See photos. So, they were clearly trying to go with some trends. I hope the new version is much more 21st century Scout II oriented!!

Attachments

• 28038944753_580f8b4319_b.jpg
    28038944753_580f8b4319_b.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 5
  • f64484a2a512918b6a00bb055b6bf723.jpg
    f64484a2a512918b6a00bb055b6bf723.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Harris005
This is a great post. I love seeing where they might have gone. To me, it's definitely a cross between the top half of a Range Rover P38 (circa 1994) and bottom half of an 80s S10 Blazer. See photos. So, they were clearly trying to go with some trends. I hope the new version is much more 21st century Scout II oriented!!

Agree completely. We have Scout 3 drawing concepts as well, and it goes in a completely different direction. I'll post those drawings in the future.

Here's a pair of images I pulled from a generic 'scout 3' search.

I proffer the drawings to the one we (almost) got

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 10
  • acd09.jpg
    acd09.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13