Extra, Extra....Read All About It!

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
I hate mission and vision statements. SM’s mission is the same as every other company in a capitalist system- make money. They do need a cohesive and consistent marketing message to be able to do that by launching Scout as a brand. They need to make it clear that they didn’t “just buy the name”. They bought a fully functional vehicle manufacturer (Navistar) that is the former International Harvester and the builder of Scouts. It needs to be clear that they are totally separate from VW. I think the separation would be easier if they started using a name for the SUV and pickup to make it clear that Scout is the brand (and VW isn’t).

Reactions: J Alynn
I think, despite our continued storylines, the press finds it difficult to separate Scout from VW. Eventually, this will change with time as Scout builds its own products, rolls out various models and trim lines, and establishes the brand more fully in the market. That said, the automotive world is full of brands under one parent company umbrella (which Scout Motors technically isn't), and much like Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, and others, there will probably always be some mention by the press about VW. Effectively, VW is our biggest investor in a new car company. They ask how we spend the money once in a while, and we can ask for help or dip into the group parts bin. Why design, engineer, test, and build ourselves a turn signal module if the existing modules being used in all the various brands already work very well and have existing economies of scale, making that part cheaper for our vehicles? That's the advantage we have in being able to utilize the group brands and engineering pools. At the same time, we are working on an all-new body-on-frame vehicle that no other brand group offers, built to our specifications and needs.

I know the wait has been long, but later this summer, you will finally get to see the vehicles, and we will be able to talk more about the products, some technical details, and more. There are still way too many aspects that are under negotiation with suppliers and haven't been finalized in contracts, so they can't be discussed yet. Trust that as soon as we can talk about those things, we will share them with you all.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, the simple fact (for better or worse) is that you are not totally independent of VW. You have access to their technology and don't have to reinvent the wheel. You just need to be sure the wheel fits first before you use it. Plus, for the most part, VW has a decent brand image. Very little residual technology, other than technology that VW has already assimilated, from Navistar or International Harvester will really apply to a new EV. Lets face it, there is only so much crossover between heavy trucks and relatively light consumer EV's. There was more crossover between tractors and offroad vehicles when the Scout was originally in production.

Ok, that said, I don't know all the tech in Navistar's stable. I don't know how much EV research they have done - but I do expect that any of it that is valuable to consumer vehicles has already been brought into VW's EV program.

CNN is getting in on the action

VW is reviving a storied American brand to sell electric SUVs

The title of this article is an example of the problem. VW is NOT reviving Scout, VW Group is. The marketing problem is higher than Scout Motors. It would be so much better if VW group was called anything else. Call it Porsche group, Audi group, or if you want to be nostalgic, Auto Union. For me, “Volkswagen “ is a huge turnoff. If I wasn’t already super excited about Scout and I heard VW Scout, I would have no interest.

The title of this article is an example of the problem. VW is NOT reviving Scout, VW Group is. The marketing problem is higher than Scout Motors. It would be so much better if VW group was called anything else. Call it Porsche group, Audi group, or if you want to be nostalgic, Auto Union. For me, “Volkswagen “ is a huge turnoff. If I wasn’t already super excited about Scout and I heard VW Scout, I would have no interest.
Unfortunately this is the mainstream media today, it's not about accuracy it's about who can report it first.

So got an email from Toyota today about the new Land-cruiser and base price. I realize hey scaled it back in size and cost from previous gen but $55K+ as starting price-Ouch! I sure hope the new Scout is less than that to start and hopefully with a removable top

Attachments

• IMG_0486.png
    IMG_0486.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Harris005
How can you incorporate a removable top and not have the ugly door frames extending up? I see [don't know if Je.. or Br....) but it looks half a$$. Nothing will replace the iconic image Scout has given Br...

So got an email from Toyota today about the new Land-cruiser and base price. I realize hey scaled it back in size and cost from previous gen but $55K+ as starting price-Ouch! I sure hope the new Scout is less than that to start and hopefully with a removable top
Given where LC prices have been in the past, and given where the market has gone, I actually was thinking this was one of the more reasonably priced quality off-roaders to have come out in recent years. I also like what they did with the LC. I'm still not a huge fan of Toyota (despite having owned all of their trucks).

How can you incorporate a removable top and not have the ugly door frames extending up? I see [don't know if Je.. or Br....) but it looks half a$$. Nothing will replace the iconic image Scout has given Br...
Frameless windows like Bronco or easily removeable doors like Jeep and Bronco. I would give up frameless windows for a less obtrusive/bulky roll cage than Bronco. I know it has to have one to pass safety standards but I would like it to be as traditional looking (steel tube) and as thin tube as possible to pass. OR best case, make it 2 door and have doors just like Scout II.

This should be a cautionary tale. After reading this I emailed my BMW salesman and asked him what a hypothetical trade on my 19,000 mile BMW iX would be. I think I paid $107k in February of 2023. He said they just traded one in that is similar with fewer miles, but also fewer options for $58k. I’m not trading and I love the car. But That sucks! Scout, please do what you can to preserve residual values.

Last edited: