Color Wishlist

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
Here's what we've been saying about colors... of that first pic of all the colors @Jamie@ScoutMotors posted, 27 out of 45 were bland/earth tone. 27! Please don't go this route. 1 or 2 black, white, and gray. That's it please.
I agree a lot of these are bland but at least they aren’t all gray. I think some of these might appeal to people based on geographic locations. I think if they are “dull” but historic in nature that’s still OK. I see old Kharman Ghias in beige/vanilla that I think look great because it screams vintage. That said black, white and gray could be skipped all together in my opinion- literally don’t offer them. But a historic cream, grayish-green (not the Ford cactus gray) or mahogany brown-red color could look really good as vintage with a white top and maybe, just maybe some chrome bits rather than all plastic and paint bumpers. Then throw in the bright colors and unique pastel toned colors as well. Just my 2cents

Ram does a great job with offering some fun shades (that I rarely see in the wild), including Case/IH Red.

Make my Scout Forest Serivce Green, pls.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 3.45.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 3.45.23 PM.png
    766.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 3.46.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 3.46.15 PM.png
    590.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: LastDayScout
I agree a lot of these are bland but at least they aren’t all gray. I think some of these might appeal to people based on geographic locations. I think if they are “dull” but historic in nature that’s still OK. I see old Kharman Ghias in beige/vanilla that I think look great because it screams vintage. That said black, white and gray could be skipped all together in my opinion- literally don’t offer them. But a historic cream, grayish-green (not the Ford cactus gray) or mahogany brown-red color could look really good as vintage with a white top and maybe, just maybe some chrome bits rather than all plastic and paint bumpers. Then throw in the bright colors and unique pastel toned colors as well. Just my 2cents

In fairness I should clarify. The color chart I posted included International colors common to the commercial truck chassis group in addition to Scout specific colors. Just fun to look at though.

VW has offered some fun colors in the past. Here is what was available for the 2019 Golf R as an example. The only downside was the $2500 charge for a Spektrum color.
2019-VW-Golf-R-color-chart.jpg

Here's to hoping they let the "fun" side of VW really run wild at Scout.

VW has offered some fun colors in the past. Here is what was available for the 2019 Golf R as an example. The only downside was the $2500 charge for a Spektrum color.

Now this I could get on board with

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
In fairness I should clarify. The color chart I posted included International colors common to the commercial truck chassis group in addition to Scout specific colors. Just fun to look at though.
And I'm pretty sure we knew that sir, it's more indicitive of what carmakers think consumers want versus what they actually want.

There's a reason Bikini Pearl, Tuscadero, Reign, Gecko, and Punk'n all fly out the door. There's a reason people point and smile when we go down the road... it really is about SPG, Smiles Per Gallon in rigs like this.

Sure our Jeep is the daily driver. It's our commuter, people hauler, grocery getter. But that doesn't mean it can't be a pearl pink color that makes ya smile every time you come out of Walmart or work.

I strongly considered buying a Golf R when this was available, mainly due to the colors.

And I'm pretty sure we knew that sir, it's more indicitive of what carmakers think consumers want versus what they actually want.

There's a reason Bikini Pearl, Tuscadero, Reign, Gecko, and Punk'n all fly out the door. There's a reason people point and smile when we go down the road... it really is about SPG, Smiles Per Gallon in rigs like this.

Sure our Jeep is the daily driver. It's our commuter, people hauler, grocery getter. But that doesn't mean it can't be a pearl pink color that makes ya smile every time you come out of Walmart or work.
Agree completely on my end. In the past with more pedestrian vehicles, dealers would complain bitterly about "weird" colors saying they can't sell them.

Given the history of the Scout, much like the Beetle, we should have a variety of "proper" colors.

Agree completely on my end. In the past with more pedestrian vehicles, dealers would complain bitterly about "weird" colors saying they can't sell them.

Given the history of the Scout, much like the Beetle, we should have a variety of "proper" colors.
Hooah!

Whatever colors they go with, if they’re gonna offer the paint protection wrap, they should offer the wrap in clear or matte. Ford offered it on the bronco and then took that option off the table because they were falling so far behind, but they only offered clear. Lots of people have gone out and got the matte ppf at the cost of $2500-$4500. I think it was about $1700 for the ppf from the factory, and I don’t see why they couldn’t just as easily do it in the matte finish that‘s so popular right now. It looks great on some of those deep metallic colors.

Whatever colors they go with, if they’re gonna offer the paint protection wrap, they should offer the wrap in clear or matte. Ford offered it on the bronco and then took that option off the table because they were falling so far behind, but they only offered clear. Lots of people have gone out and got the matte ppf at the cost of $2500-$4500. I think it was about $1700 for the ppf from the factory, and I don’t see why they couldn’t just as easily do it in the matte finish that‘s so popular right now. It looks great on some of those deep metallic colors.

Defender offers PPF from the factory, but it isn't cheap. It is also a manual process for the factory, so the vehicle has to come off the line and the process is labor intensive. That's why manufacturers shy away from offering it.

Matte finishes are neat but there are care issues that are different to deal with. For instance, you can't run them through a car wash because small scratches can't be buffed out (buffing it makes it shiny). Most people don't realize that part of it, so it is something to think about.

Defender offers PPF from the factory, but it isn't cheap. It is also a manual process for the factory, so the vehicle has to come off the line and the process is labor intensive. That's why manufacturers shy away from offering it.

Matte finishes are neat but there are care issues that are different to deal with. For instance, you can't run them through a car wash because small scratches can't be buffed out (buffing it makes it shiny). Most people don't realize that part of it, so it is something to think about.
I didn't know that, but when you say it I'm like, "oh yeah, duh."

I'd then think if someone wanted it they'd just do it themselves upon receipt.

Reactions: J Alynn
I have a 1975 Scout II XLC in Sunburst Yellow. As many have stated in this forum, boring, drab colors have never been a scout thing. Since Scouts and other IH vehicles were utilitarian first (and due to a complete lack of budget), Scouts have always lacked body contours. The upward swept window was an inexpensive touch on the Scout II. As a result, IH used bright colors and appliques to give the Scout some character. My dad had a brown one in 1972 that had 3 tone stripes down the side (including orange). He painted his rollbar and brake drums orange, and made the Scout come alive!

Pick the boldest colors (Farmall Red, the orange from the SSII, Sunburst yellow, green, blue, etc.). Like the CJs, LJs, and original Bronco, the Scout looks best with a bright color (and perhaps a white roof and white wagon wheels).

Ryan

Attachments

• SDS Crown King AZ Run 15.jpg
    SDS Crown King AZ Run 15.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 2
  • scout01rs.jpg
    scout01rs.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2
I like this blue. . . similar to stock Metallic Blue but darker. . . .My ‘63 Scout 80

Attachments

• Scout 8-23-11 035.JPG
    Scout 8-23-11 035.JPG
    834 KB · Views: 4
I have a 1975 Scout II XLC in Sunburst Yellow. As many have stated in this forum, boring, drab colors have never been a scout thing. Since Scouts and other IH vehicles were utilitarian first (and due to a complete lack of budget), Scouts have always lacked body contours. The upward swept window was an inexpensive touch on the Scout II. As a result, IH used bright colors and appliques to give the Scout some character. My dad had a brown one in 1972 that had 3 tone stripes down the side (including orange). He painted his rollbar and brake drums orange, and made the Scout come alive!

Pick the boldest colors (Farmall Red, the orange from the SSII, Sunburst yellow, green, blue, etc.). Like the CJs, LJs, and original Bronco, the Scout looks best with a bright color (and perhaps a white roof and white wagon wheels).

Ryan
white wagon wheels and top are always a nice touch, make the other colour 'pop'

I heard a rumor once that IH didn't paint the inside of the quarters. Don't know if it's true or not but I feel confident it's not going to be a tradition carried forward