But the original Scout that explored America was gasoline powered.

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

carboy57

1st Year Member
Mar 17, 2023
It's awesome that here in Blythewood all this infrastructure is being improved. Roadways, railways and public transportation. However, where's the infrastructure for all the extra electric power it will take for the end user to keep these charged up? How can you have a offroad electric vehicle? you going to carry a extra can of electricity in the woods when you run out of power? Why wouldn't you build this as a hybrid vehicle? I'm a car guy. What's with all this politically correct nonsense? I guess the WOKE movement is pushing its way into transportation world by storm.

In my opinion you are taking a once great vehicle and turning it into some mamby pamby vehicles for people that are afraid to get their hands dirty and greasy. At least t he Bronco your competitor still is gasoline and still is a brut of sorts offroad. The oxymoron of every EV powered vehicle is the entire vehicle is made from petroleum products. So ridiculous.

Reactions: BobK
It's awesome that here in Blythewood all this infrastructure is being improved. Roadways, railways and public transportation. However, where's the infrastructure for all the extra electric power it will take for the end user to keep these charged up? How can you have a offroad electric vehicle? you going to carry a extra can of electricity in the woods when you run out of power? Why wouldn't you build this as a hybrid vehicle? I'm a car guy. What's with all this politically correct nonsense? I guess the WOKE movement is pushing its way into transportation world by storm.

In my opinion you are taking a once great vehicle and turning it into some mamby pamby vehicles for people that are afraid to get their hands dirty and greasy. At least t he Bronco your competitor still is gasoline and still is a brut of sorts offroad. The oxymoron of every EV powered vehicle is the entire vehicle is made from petroleum products. So ridiculous.
As others on this forum have expressed their need for a gasoline/ICE vehicle it isn’t in the plans-the admins have made it clear that ICE is not the direction the company plans to go. Scout was the innovator of the modern day SUV and the goal-as we are all learning is to innovate all over again. No reason to jump on this forum just to bash the opportunity VWAG/Scout is developing for those of us who are fond of Scouts.
Ultimately it will be an EV. My first car was a Scout-many memories. I am not an EV guy-YET, and who knows, I may never be (I love my current turbo V6). That said you either love/support the new direction of re-innovating the Scout OR go buy a Bronco or a Wrangler 4xe. Not all of us who have fond memories of the Scout off-road, live in the middle of Montana (have family there-not knocking it) or plan to go overlanding across the US. Many of us won’t travel more than a couple hundred miles at a given time-many will likely be mall-crawlers (as so often spoken on the Bronco6G forum). In three years when it comes to market the infrastructure for EVs will be drastically different-hopefully for the better.
There isn’t a car manufacturer making cars today whose business plan is ramping up new line-ups of ICE vehicles. It’s hard to re-start a car company focused on trucks and SUV’s and believe that they can make CAFE standards to meet the government’s requirements. Innovation for Scout was true to heart when it started roughly 45 years ago and if all goes as planned, will innovate again in 2026.
IMHO

Hi Carboy57,

Going to honest, I have never driven an electric vehicle-but people that do love them (so I read) so they must have good torque and takeoff.

I also get where you are coming from, and yes regulations are driving much of this…however I also think electric vehicles are worth examining a bit more. Trains are diesel electric because the torque is massive and while they have a generator and don’t use batteries the propulsion is going to be the same here. It comes down to the battery part of the BEV.

I am not an engineer or even too much of an electrical minded consumer, but battery tech has come a long ways in the last 20 years and will continue to improve as Solid State is figured out and perhaps if someone has brains enough fuel cell electric. I saw an article on that for example the VW claims to be working on fuel cell tech with 1,200 mile range… source is here …so give them a few years to figure this out.

Power outage. No idea I guess one would need a good generator just like you already need for your home if you don’t want to have a cold house and warm food so you know life goes on different day different problem. If you don’t like BEV tech now, do what I do I drive an “old” SUV it uses loads of gas but I can fill up anyplace. Once they figure this stuff out then buy one. I don’t think there will be any shortage of first takers willing to fund them by buying up every Scout they make.

No one gives VW credit, but I own two Touaregs and they are amazing off-road. So the knowledge to do this right is in there and this could end up being a total beast off road…it is just the battery part and that development curve and with VW spending $180 billion Source here over the next five years (which is a bit more than other OEMs) they soon will be (if not already are) the leader in BEV…what a good partner to be behind this movement for Scout.

Just don’t get me started on the gas stove debate that is another story and the feds need to leave my stove alone. 😂

Last edited:
Blindly following conspiracy theorists over cliffs, then resorting to trolling internet forums is my definition of mamby pamby. That said, YOU can go buy a Bronco if YOU don't like what Scout is doing, or just choose not to buy an EV - it's still a free country. When I placed a pre-order for my R1T in 2019, my decision was based on:

1. Buying from an American company that was building a factory in the US, and was creating real jobs
2. The promise that Rivian made to take a vested interest in the actual planet (not just what the product they were building)
3. The features of the truck (range, warranty, storage, 835 HP, 0-60 in 3 seconds, 4 motors, 11,000 lbs towing, on & off road capability, etc.)
4. The increased self-reliance I would realize from charging the R1T at home from a power source derived from the sun, and captured on my own roof
5. The value of the purchase when considering tax incentives & rebates, low maintenance VS. buying an ICE truck (at basically the same price w/ GAS)
6. My own desire not to be a hypocrite as an outdoorsman, and to be a catalyst to support the development of ALL EV trucks

I am coming-up on 1 full year of ownership in May, I can 100% say that this is the most patriotic purchase I have ever made (not including a house). Pretty easy to understand when you put it all into context. There are definitely infrastructure challenges for EV's that need attention, which is a valid point, but 95% of my charging takes place at my home. This is a chicken and an egg thing, because on the 1 hand, you can't get more EV's out without infrastructure, and you can't justify more infrastructure without hitting a tipping point. Feels like we have hit that tipping point with all EV's (plus Lightenings and Rivians) out on the road. This week, we had a storm that dropped 30+ inches of snow. My goal on Wednesday was to drive 2+ hours to backcountry ski at higher elevation, which required travel to and through the Green Mountain National Forest. I could have made it there (without issue with a battery at 85%). But, you also need to plan for your return trip, and if you want to get back without waiting on a Level II charger to get you home, you should top-off the battery on route to your destination for some added peace of mind. I was able to top-off to 85% quickly on route to my destination at a DCFC (while I got coffee and b-fast), and was unconcerned about my return trip through the mountains snow and mud.

All this means is that owning an EV requires some intelligence and forethought surrounding trip planning. There was a bit of an adjustment, because DCFC on road trips takes longer than just filling up your truck with gas. Now that I am accustomed to it, it is actually a more relaxing way to travel - particularly if you know your route and where and when you need to plan to re-charge (software does this on-screen also). I just try to plan around meal-times for charging on road trips, which also saves you from dealing with the most traffic. Good excuse to stretch the legs after hours of driving too. I have never been more aware of my own personal energy consumption - added benefit that comes with EV ownership for those that care.

Hope we can all someday get back to the thought of Americans can and will! Put a challenge in front of us, and we rise and rally to the idea working and believing as a whole that we can complete the task. I myself am exhausted with every single damn thing being politicized. Can we please stop making every topic a, 'you're either on the left or right side of the isle'. Let's try going back to things are right or wrong, not left or right! Think for yourself, not what your party or news media source crams down your throat to create resentment and anger towards the other side. A challenge of betterment is in front of us....can't really remember what side of the aisle that can be found on?

So here is what I've heard/read, please correct anything you know to be different as I am no expert and do not want to spread misinformation:
  • Yes, mining battery materials are harmful to the earth.
  • Yes, mining fossil fuels is harmful to the earth.
  • Buying a brand new EV vs ICE vehicle does have a greater carbon footprint initially because of the mining of lithium.
  • Once purchased and driven, the EV is much less harmful to the world as its carbon footprint is only being impacted by coal burning power plants to charge the vehicle. -insert- Americans can and will attitude here to work to better this system over time. However, the ICE will continue to grow its carbon footprint for the rest of its existence as it continues to need fossil fuels to operate.
  • Screenshot_20230319_104328_Chrome.jpg
  • Owning an EV over time (believe I read ~60,000+ miles) will surpass the ICE vehicle by adding less green house gases into the atmosphere.
  • If you have the ability to charge your EV from the sun and not rely on coal plants, that EV's carbon footprint continues to shrink over the life of the vehicle.
Can we all stop thinking the grid is what it is so let's just throw up are hands . What if...stick with me here...what if, we work to make it better 🤯 What if, that means working towards solutions and not expecting them to already be in front of us. I found this news exciting when it came out a while back - https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7WDGnL/

I think most on here have expressed some concern with your general statement about EV's and offroading range anxiety. There have been a few post of personal experiences as well as a few suggestions. I might ask: should we work towards solutions, or throw our hands up?

With all this said I myself love my ICE classics, to include but not limited to my Scout II, and look to continue to enjoy them. However, that doesn't mean that I have to be shut down on change, especially when it's paving a way for the betterment of our future generations. And if you are questioning that, go start your ICE vehicle in the driveway and sit directly in front of your tailpipe breathing in and out. Tough to do? Now times that by the millions of cars on the road everyday. What if we could just reduce those emissions by our everyday drivers? PS - don't actually do the tailpipe thing; it has been known to kill people

This is typically not a post I would make as both sides of politics drive me crazy. I just know I am worn out with the fact that it seems to find its way everywhere...to include a forum on the new Scout of the future. Let talk Scouts, not political/media driven verbiage written in all caps.

Last edited:

Not sure what the difference is between an ICE SUV that can drive 350 miles on a tan k of gas or an EV with a 350 mile range. Why does it matter what creates the power? It's the same range. Why would you run out of electric power faster than gas?

Hope we can all someday get back to the thought of Americans can and will! Put a challenge in front of us, and we rise and rally to the idea working and believing as a whole that we can complete the task. I myself am exhausted with every single damn thing being politicized. Can we please stop making every topic a, 'you're either on the left or right side of the isle'. Let's try going back to things are right or wrong, not left or right! Think for yourself, not what your party or news media source crams down your throat to create resentment and anger towards the other side. A challenge of betterment is in front of us....can't really remember what side of the aisle that can be found on?

So here is what I've heard/read, please correct anything you know to be different as I am no expert and do not want to spread misinformation:
  • Yes, mining battery materials are harmful to the earth.
  • Yes, mining fossil fuels is harmful to the earth.
  • Buying a brand new EV vs ICE vehicle does have a greater carbon footprint initially because of the mining of lithium.
  • Once purchased and driven, the EV is much less harmful to the world as its carbon footprint is only being impacted by coal burning power plants to charge the vehicle. -insert- Americans can and will attitude here to work to better this system over time. However, the ICE will continue to grow its carbon footprint for the rest of its existence as it continues to need fossil fuels to operate.
  • View attachment 855
  • Owning an EV over time (believe I read ~60,000+ miles) will surpass the ICE vehicle by adding less green house gases into the atmosphere.
  • If you have the ability to charge your EV from the sun and not rely on coal plants, that EV's carbon footprint continues to shrink over the life of the vehicle.
Can we all stop thinking the grid is what it is so let's just throw up are hands . What if...stick with me here...what if, we work to make it better 🤯 What if, that means working towards solutions and not expecting them to already be in front of us. I found this news exciting when it came out a while back - https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7WDGnL/

I think most on here have expressed some concern with your general statement about EV's and offroading range anxiety. There have been a few post of personal experiences as well as a few suggestions. I might ask: should we work towards solutions, or throw our hands up?

With all this said I myself love my ICE classics, to include but not limited to my Scout II, and look to continue to enjoy them. However, that doesn't mean that I have to be shut down on change, especially when it's paving a way for the betterment of our future generations. And if you are questioning that, go start your ICE vehicle in the driveway and sit directly in front of your tailpipe breathing in and out. Tough to do? Now times that by the millions of cars on the road everyday. What if we could just reduce those emissions by our everyday drivers? PS - don't actually do the tailpipe thing; it has been known to kill people

This is typically not a post I would make as both sides of politics drive me crazy. I just know I am worn out with the fact that it seems to find its way everywhere...to include a forum on the new Scout of the future. Let talk Scouts, not political/media driven verbiage written in all caps.
Hi Matt - these are all very valuable points that, personally, I'm aligned to. However we need to consider what this means to the base consumer when we're talking about dollars and cents. I happen to live in a state where the cost of electricity is very, very high (one of the highest in the nation) and the cost of gas is moderate. When driving an EV becomes more expensive than driving a gas vehicle people tend to care less about their carbon footprint and more about what it means for the family's economics. So I think it's important to factor the cost equation too. The EV SUVs on the market are huge $$ so that needs to be factored too.

Hi Matt - these are all very valuable points that, personally, I'm aligned to. However we need to consider what this means to the base consumer when we're talking about dollars and cents. I happen to live in a state where the cost of electricity is very, very high (one of the highest in the nation) and the cost of gas is moderate. When driving an EV becomes more expensive than driving a gas vehicle people tend to care less about their carbon footprint and more about what it means for the family's economics. So I think it's important to factor the cost equation too. The EV SUVs on the market are huge $$ so that needs to be factored too.
Great topic! I am interested in hearing cost/pros/cons from anyone that has installed solar to charge thier EV's. What does that cost look like in comparison to the grid in specific areas? It's another step to helping the strain on the grid as well as lightening the carbon footprint of the Scout.

Reactions: J Alynn
It's awesome that here in Blythewood all this infrastructure is being improved. Roadways, railways and public transportation. However, where's the infrastructure for all the extra electric power it will take for the end user to keep these charged up?
You would be surprised, the infrastructure isn't as bad as you think. I have not upgraded my house to a 240v charger yet so currently my car uses less electricity than my vacume does....so in theory it the grid can handle everyone running their vacuum at the same time right?

How can you have a offroad electric vehicle? you going to carry a extra can of electricity in the woods when you run out of power?
One big difference between a gas car and an EV is you will always have your car plugged in while at home. So every morning you can be fully charged. Yes there are possibities for someone who neglects to plan ahead to get stranded but that's about the same as any gas powered driver as well.....getting stranded is more of a result of a neglectful driver rather than the capability of the vehicle.

Why wouldn't you build this as a hybrid vehicle? I'm a car guy. What's with all this politically correct nonsense? I guess the WOKE movement is pushing its way into transportation world by storm.
Woke literally has nothing to do with it. EVs are arguably better vehicles in every way except for range....

If you want a "reason" why....well the EV market is not only the future but it is hot right now. Any company who doesn't advance in it likely will be left behind in the future. In addition to that we are still in the shadow of VW's diseal-gate....and VW needs to make good on its promise of making environmentally friendly vehicles.

In my opinion you are taking a once great vehicle and turning it into some mamby pamby vehicles for people that are afraid to get their hands dirty and greasy.
There are still bearings that need to be greased....have at it hoss

At least t he Bronco your competitor still is gasoline and still is a brut of sorts offroad. The oxymoron of every EV powered vehicle is the entire vehicle is made from petroleum products. So ridiculous.
What kind of fox news meme did you get your facts from? You are special my friend

It's awesome that here in Blythewood all this infrastructure is being improved. Roadways, railways and public transportation.

Yes, it IS awesome! You can thank the Bipartisan Infrastructure Plan!

However, where's the infrastructure for all the extra electric power it will take for the end user to keep these charged up?

It's being built right now. Gasoline has more than a century head start, and filling stations didn't have the ubiquity they have now until decades into the widespread usage of gasoline vehicles. So expecting the electric charging infrastructure to be equivalent to gasoline just a few years into the EV revolution is beyond ridiculous. But it's coming, and it's coming fast. (See the Bipartisan Infrastructure Plan)

How can you have a offroad electric vehicle?

Well, an automaker designs an EV with off-road capability and then you buy one and use it off-road.

you going to carry a extra can of electricity in the woods when you run out of power?

Maybe. Batteries exist.

Why wouldn't you build this as a hybrid vehicle?

Because hybrids suck. You have to carry around a heavy battery AND a heavy gas engine. Hybrids were clearly just an interim solution to wean people off of gasoline slowly. The age of hybrids is almost over. Sure, they were more efficient than gasoline engines were on their own. But they're wildly inefficient when compared to full BEVs.

I'm a car guy.

Congratulations. So am I. So is basically everyone on this forum.

What's with all this politically correct nonsense?

What you call "political correctness," I call "being a decent person and staying up to date with facts, technology, and culture."

I guess the WOKE movement is pushing its way into transportation world by storm.

1) Define WOKE.
2) The EV revolution is about MONEY, not WOKENESS. Car companies want to make money by providing innovative products. They know if they keep making the same outdated products they will fail. This is called the Free Market.

In my opinion you are taking a once great vehicle and turning it into some mamby pamby vehicles for people that are afraid to get their hands dirty and greasy.

I have rebuilt engines in cars. I am currently restoring a single engine airplane, and have another lined up after that one's done. I'm no professional mechanic, but I'd say I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and greasy. I'd guess that many of the folks on this forum have gotten greasy hands, too. But why would any of us want a vehicle we have to work on frequently just to keep it running? I'd rather have a low-maintenance vehicle I can get out on the roads and trails more often. I'd rather save my grease monkey time for the planes.
And, honestly, when electric aviation propulsion systems become a little lighter with a little bit longer range and are available at a lower cost, I'll switch to electric there, too. Call my plane "mamby pamby" if you want as I fly by silently.

At least t he Bronco your competitor still is gasoline and still is a brut of sorts offroad.

Okay. Go buy one of those, then.

The oxymoron of every EV powered vehicle is the entire vehicle is made from petroleum products.

1) Define oxymoron.
2) You meant irony.
3) EVs contain no more petroleum products (plastic) than modern gasoline vehicles do. And unlike gasoline vehicles they don't directly burn petroluem products. Even if the electricity they're charged with was generated by burning petroleum products - or even coal - they STILL come out cleaner than a gasoline vehicle. Hardly an oxymoron. Or an irony.

So ridiculous.

Yes, I agree. Nothing is more ridiculous than someone who is afraid of change complaining about said change just because it's change.

A time travel to 1885 with a gas powered DMC DeLorean could pose a refill problem after an arrow punctures your fuel tank…I myself never really thought much about how getting fuel at the advent of the automobile (from French I guess meaning self-moving) was…after thousands of years of horses and whatnot. But that is an excellent comparison to today…in fact it is exactly the same story on a different day.

Here is my subjective take. I have specifically asked what demographic Scout Motors is pursuing with this endeavor and have yet to see a response. In my opinion they are after the Jeep and Ford market with a beefy EV SUV that is offroad capable but will seldom be used offroad. To the point someone else made, this is about economic viability and the growth of a business. As a new company they're likely going to want, if not need, to appeal to a very broad audience. If you take the number of Jeep and Bronco users that actually offroad you're probably in low, single digit percentages when you consider the entire ownership cohort. Will a $50K price tag, which I've seen quoted, change that? I don't know....

Reactions: J Alynn
Here is my subjective take. I have specifically asked what demographic Scout Motors is pursuing with this endeavor and have yet to see a response. In my opinion they are after the Jeep and Ford market with a beefy EV SUV that is offroad capable but will seldom be used offroad. To the point someone else made, this is about economic viability and the growth of a business. As a new company they're likely going to want, if not need, to appeal to a very broad audience. If you take the number of Jeep and Bronco users that actually offroad you're probably in low, single digit percentages when you consider the entire ownership cohort. Will a $50K price tag, which I've seen quoted, change that? I don't know....
My personal hot take on the situation is VW is after "The American Market" with the scout brand. Especially considering when we all participated in the "4 words that describe scout" the majority of us put down "American" in some form. Inherently in the American spirit there is a Ruggedness and a 'do it yourself' attitude. All of those things are not synonymous with VW or Audi or any of the other brands that VW currently owns.....

in addition to that Americans are notoriously behind when it comes to EV adoption. (i wonder why....with threads like this🙄 ) So the marketing idea is to capture something truly American that Americans would be actually interested in buying that happens to be fully electric.

“The entire vehicle is made of petroleum products”….hmmm. Like the steel or aluminum body panels? Those are derived from oil? That’s news to me. How about the batteries? Lithium, cobalt, tantalum. Hmmm. Nope not oil based either. Glass? No that comes from silica. Leather seats? Cows.

Plastic is generally made from oil because it’s easiest to synthesize polymers from organic compounds with long hydrocarbon chains. But they don’t have to be. We can synthesize plastics from pretty much anything now.

Sorry Lefty, I missed your question...

Your assessment is largely correct and applies to nearly anyone that wants to compete against a Jeep/Bronco or even a Rivian or LandRover at lower price points. We expect a wide demographic of appeal as the Scout not only has heritage and history as an American brand, but, by its nature, the product is a lifestyle product that can be taken off-road and has retro style and appeal in a modern package. I would assume the demographic will widen a bit with the pickup truck since there is a utilitarian aspect to it.

Ram has a nifty solution to the gas/ev thing: an optional onboard generator that can recharge Insitu or just extend range while driving. That of course technically makes it a plug-in hybrid, but avoids the traditional transmission in most hybrids, and wouldn’t have to derail the pure EV development process. With the entire VW ecosystem available I’m sure there’s a little 2 cylinder diesel engine we could stuff under a hatch somewhere.

Reactions: Harris005
Ram has a nifty solution to the gas/ev thing: an optional onboard generator that can recharge Insitu or just extend range while driving. That of course technically makes it a plug-in hybrid, but avoids the traditional transmission in most hybrids, and wouldn’t have to derail the pure EV development process. With the entire VW ecosystem available I’m sure there’s a little 2 cylinder diesel engine we could stuff under a hatch somewhere.
The crowds would go nuts if VW’s answer to an EV was to put a diesel in it 😂

I hear what you are saying though and myself even mentioned this in another thread. Some want something factory done all the way (like what you are hinting at), but I am of the mindset that everything be prepped for aftermarket applications because that is added weight (not everyone might not need) and if provided by auto manufacturers would likely need to pass environmental regs that are different than for say a big robust Honda generator that is self contained that a consumer can buy and drop in. Easily removable in the trunk would be my idea? The idea being the wiring, mounts, optional ventilation, and means for exhaust routing could be available…if this were in the frunk then someone couldn’t snag it while you are parked too (because they jack anything not bolted down). What I like about this idea is: 1) charging during a power outage, 2) powering your house during a power outage; 3) camping without draining your battery as needed; 4) If easy to remove you could store it where you can easily change the oil and maintenance without carrying around dead weight and 5) way to squeeze out even more range when you need it…although perhaps not enough to drive while running it (lower output generation would be fine).

Most of the above can just be done by buying a nice generator (and being patient during recharging) but it would be nice to have an actual space prepped as I frankly LOVE owning a generator (especially when my neighborhood is blacked out in an ice storm and I can still run my Wi-Fi, watch TV, keep my fridge on, and my fireplace blower going….um not in order of importance lol). Last one we had was almost a week. 😳

The crowds would go nuts if VW’s answer to an EV was to put a diesel in it 😂

I hear what you are saying though and myself even mentioned this in another thread. Some want something factory done all the way (like what you are hinting at), but I am of the mindset that everything be prepped for aftermarket applications because that is added weight (not everyone might not need) and if provided by auto manufacturers would likely need to pass environmental regs that are different than for say a big robust Honda generator that is self contained that a consumer can buy and drop in. Easily removable in the trunk would be my idea? The idea being the wiring, mounts, optional ventilation, and means for exhaust routing could be available…if this were in the frunk then someone couldn’t snag it while you are parked too (because they jack anything not bolted down). What I like about this idea is: 1) charging during a power outage, 2) powering your house during a power outage; 3) camping without draining your battery as needed; 4) If easy to remove you could store it where you can easily change the oil and maintenance without carrying around dead weight and 5) way to squeeze out even more range when you need it…although perhaps not enough to drive while running it (lower output generation would be fine).

Most of the above can just be done by buying a nice generator (and being patient during recharging) but it would be nice to have an actual space prepped as I frankly LOVE owning a generator (especially when my neighborhood is blacked out in an ice storm and I can still run my Wi-Fi, watch TV, keep my fridge on, and my fireplace blower going….um not in order of importance lol). Last one we had was almost a week. 😳
Post in thread 'Trailer / Towing Discussion' https://scoutmotors.community.forum/threads/trailer-towing-discussion.144/post-1976

Also thought this was an interesting take on a gallon of gas in a generator. Can't remember if I posted it on this site??

The one downside I see is camping. Picturing a trail ride that is quite while driving an EV back to a camping spot. Then once camp is set up and you are there to unplug and enjoy the quite, you have a generator running. Kinda opposite doing the same thing with an ICE rig. Don't get me wrong, I'm on board for the idea....just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Rustic_father
At the end of the day: with current tech EVs simply are not adventure vehicles. Too short of range, too long to charge. No way to bum a gallon of gas off a buddy or friendly stranger. Disclosure: I have a VW group EV, an Audi Etron. It’s four wheel drive and built on the Q8 suv platform, so it could get into some backcountry, but I wouldn’t even consider taking it on a long road trip. It’s a safe bet that the scout will pretty much equal this platform when it comes out: 5500 lbs, 400hp, 225 mile range.
I do a lot of adventure travel based out of the Bay Area: dirt biking in Baja and Death Valley and the Sierra. Mountain biking in Oregon or the lost coast. Skiing in Tahoe or the cascades or Wyoming. Surfing up and down the coast or visiting family in San Diego. All those locations require long days in the car, anywhere from 3-14 hour drives. I use my Ram 1500 because it can go 400 miles between tanks and I can fill it in minutes. A 45 minute charge time to get 80% of a full battery is just a non-starter. It would add hours to any significant trip. My EV is for commuting and absent a major leap in battery tech that’s all it will ever be.

Last edited: