Battery Range Solution

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

IdahoJOAT

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
As I looked at converting a Traveler to EV several months ago, the thought hit me: the biggest concern with EVs is the range right? Range range range. Well, it got me thinking about how to alleviate this, which we've all done I'm sure, but easily replaceable batteries is the obvious one.

When we all road trip, and stop for fuel, what do we do? I send my wife and kids in, I fuel up, repark, go inside, and then once we come out, it's been 20-30 minutes since we first pulled up. If a company *cough*Scout Motors*cough* could pioneer the universal, AA kind of power cell that can be removed and installed in minutes(quick disconnects for HVAC and power lines), they would blow the lid off the EV and transportation world.

Now my Scout can pull up, get a new battery in for another 200 miles, and I'm on the road again, while my "old" battery is getting charged and then put in another Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.

Reactions: J Alynn
Oy, could you imagine the weight though? :)

If you look at the current new EV offerings coming out everyone has been moving to 800v systems capable of being charged from 10%-80% charge in 17-20 minutes. This does require "super charger" type charging stations to get that rate, but most new EV charging infrastructure projects are moving to these high capacity chargers now and in the future. So if range continues to increase (which it will) and batteries get smaller, lighter and more powerful (which they will) this whole issue will go away.

It's the growing pains that will be tougher waiting for charge stations to become more prolific (especially in remote areas). Battery research is at an all time high right now and the number of charging stations going in everywhere is also rising very, very quickly. I joke that it is like the first cell phones that were bulky and heavy and had limited battery life. We will get there, but not without some growing pains.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
Oy, could you imagine the weight though? :)

If you look at the current new EV offerings coming out everyone has been moving to 800v systems capable of being charged from 10%-80% charge in 17-20 minutes. This does require "super charger" type charging stations to get that rate, but most new EV charging infrastructure projects are moving to these high capacity chargers now and in the future. So if range continues to increase (which it will) and batteries get smaller, lighter and more powerful (which they will) this whole issue will go away.

It's the growing pains that will be tougher waiting for charge stations to become more prolific (especially in remote areas). Battery research is at an all time high right now and the number of charging stations going in everywhere is also rising very, very quickly. I joke that it is like the first cell phones that were bulky and heavy and had limited battery life. We will get there, but not without some growing pains.
Well I get hell for liking EVs. Get it for the 4xe. But seriously, the BEST analogy and example I've come up with, that tends to shut up the nay-sayers is this:

Them: "Our grid can't handle it now. They're telling people not to run ACs during the summer!"
Me: "I trust our resilience and ingenuity as a species man. In 1910 people like you were saying, "Can you imagine having one of them gas pumps on every corner! It'll never happen!" as they untie their horse-buggy. We'll adapt. We'll adjust."

It works (y)

As I’ve mentioned I own a Tesla. I’m very accustomed to all the range and charging scenarios. But, I do go on long off road trips as there is no where near me to do so. I think there is a relatively simple solution…a battery Jerry can. You charge it up at home and take it with you. You can find the same thing for your phone all over the place. It’s an extra battery for just in case scenarios. I think it would also be a really cool accessory for the Scout.

As I’ve mentioned I own a Tesla. I’m very accustomed to all the range and charging scenarios. But, I do go on long off road trips as there is no where near me to do so. I think there is a relatively simple solution…a battery Jerry can. You charge it up at home and take it with you. You can find the same thing for your phone all over the place. It’s an extra battery for just in case scenarios. I think it would also be a really cool accessory for the Scout.
We have that. It's a generator ;)

• Sad
Reactions: bunfield and Graeme
We have that. It's a generator ;)
Yes, but that requires gas or diesel. If you charged up your “E Jerry can” you could just use it like a gas Jerry can. Top off the battery to get back to the charger.

Yes, but that requires gas or diesel. If you charged up your “E Jerry can” you could just use it like a gas Jerry can. Top off the battery to get back to the charger.
They have "no gas" generators. No lie, seen em on MORR and Costco. It's essentially a huge battery.

I'm curious how that would translate to our PHEVs and BEVs.

They have "no gas" generators. No lie, seen em on MORR and Costco. It's essentially a huge battery.

I'm curious how that would translate to our PHEVs and BEVs.
Same idea as the back up power pack for your phone. A fast dump battery you plug into the charge port.

Same idea as the back up power pack for your phone. A fast dump battery you plug into the charge port.
I just went and looked though, here's Home Depot's biggest gasless generator: EcoFlow 4500W

Now I just asked the question on the site, but it says it has a 10.8 kWh battery. My Jeep has 17 kWh. And it's range is about 25-30 miles. So do the math. To charge up the Scout with say a 300 mile range, you'd need about 1800 kWhs...

Extender for sure, but this is all just me throwing out current tech and ideas.

I just went and looked though, here's Home Depot's biggest gasless generator: EcoFlow 4500W

Now I just asked the question on the site, but it says it has a 10.8 kWh battery. My Jeep has 17 kWh. And it's range is about 25-30 miles. So do the math. To charge up the Scout with say a 300 mile range, you'd need about 1800 kWhs...

Extender for sure, but this is all just me throwing out current tech and ideas.
Yes, it will take more than that. I’m sure that Scout engineers can do better than that. Not to be a smart ass, but the gas can usually doesn’t fill the tank either. It might take more than one.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
Yes, it will take more than that. I’m sure that Scout engineers can do better than that. Not to be a smart ass, but the gas can usually doesn’t fill the tank either. It might take more than one.
I hear you, just seeing it in numbers helps understand the gravity of the solutions needed :)

Reactions: LastDayScout
Well I get hell for liking EVs. Get it for the 4xe. But seriously, the BEST analogy and example I've come up with, that tends to shut up the nay-sayers is this:

Them: "Our grid can't handle it now. They're telling people not to run ACs during the summer!"
Me: "I trust our resilience and ingenuity as a species man. In 1910 people like you were saying, "Can you imagine having one of them gas pumps on every corner! It'll never happen!" as they untie their horse-buggy. We'll adapt. We'll adjust."

It works (y)
4/10 homes in our cul-de-sac in N. CA have solar/battery systems, ours is one of them, and the local installers are booked out for months. Local, state, and Federal incentives saved us around $22k on an ~80k steel roof, solar array and storage battery... for around the price of a (nice) new pickup, we won't see a power bill for the foreseeable future & get a small dividend back at the end of the year for what we sell back. When we found out there was a 20-something percent rebate on both the roof and solar system two years ago, it was a no brainer between that and a new BEV. The new IRA has pushed the rebates up to 30%, so we might try to get another battery this year.

4/10 homes in our cul-de-sac in N. CA have solar/battery systems, ours is one of them, and the local installers are booked out for months. Local, state, and Federal incentives saved us around $22k on an ~80k steel roof, solar array and storage battery... for around the price of a (nice) new pickup, we won't see a power bill for the foreseeable future & get a small dividend back at the end of the year for what we sell back. When we found out there was a 20-something percent rebate on both the roof and solar system two years ago, it was a no brainer between that and a new BEV. The new IRA has pushed the rebates up to 30%, so we might try to get another battery this year.
I was looking at this earlier this year, but the new roof cost pushed it out of our price range.

I was looking at this earlier this year, but the new roof cost pushed it out of our price range.
Check the incentive guidelines... our original roof wouldn't support solar panels, but any upgrade necessary to install solar panels was included in the incentive/rebate, so we got 25% off our painted steel roof too. Supposed to be an 80 year lifetime on the roof, so it'll outlast me.

Check the incentive guidelines... our original roof wouldn't support solar panels, but any upgrade necessary to install solar panels was included in the incentive/rebate, so we got 25% off our painted steel roof too. Supposed to be an 80 year lifetime on the roof, so it'll outlast me.
Yeah I wanted a metal roof. Even if I could get my admittedly lazy HOA(one of the things I love tbh) to approve it, my wife shot it down.

It made the cost just too much for her to swallow. I was down.

Versatile as a farmer is how I feel Scouts were built. So why not set up the vehicle design for in town or highway driving. If you need to do a little extra for pleasure then why not set up a special power port that a towable generator with extra fuel capacity can tag along. Better yet a control link on the trailer to allow it to have an extra push with power driven wheels if you are wheeling. Another option is an off road camper with the motor driven wheels and generator all tied into the Scout drive system. This could be all sold separately as options or why not even a rental facility. This way just rent when you plan to have a little extra fun. The original Scout designer’s definitely thought out the box and that is what brought me to have such a strong compassion for them.

Attachments

• 0990EC78-7392-4FF0-945A-2C29115BDCF9.jpeg
    0990EC78-7392-4FF0-945A-2C29115BDCF9.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: J Alynn

As I looked at converting a Traveler to EV several months ago, the thought hit me: the biggest concern with EVs is the range right? Range range range. Well, it got me thinking about how to alleviate this, which we've all done I'm sure, but easily replaceable batteries is the obvious one.

When we all road trip, and stop for fuel, what do we do? I send my wife and kids in, I fuel up, repark, go inside, and then once we come out, it's been 20-30 minutes since we first pulled up. If a company *cough*Scout Motors*cough* could pioneer the universal, AA kind of power cell that can be removed and installed in minutes(quick disconnects for HVAC and power lines), they would blow the lid off the EV and transportation world.

Now my Scout can pull up, get a new battery in for another 200 miles, and I'm on the road again, while my "old" battery is getting charged and then put in another Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.
I brought this up on another thread (can't recall which one). There are already Chinese companies doing this with plans to rollout "battery stations" in the European market.
There is also an Israeli company electrifying the road so you don't even need to stop...

Reactions: Rustic_father