App / Touchscreen Interaction and Ideas

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

Harris005

Scout Community Veteran
1st Year Member
Nov 15, 2022
Oak Grove, MO.
I was thinking a thread about some ideas that might be interesting or unique to the software side of the App/Touchscreen could be interesting. Could also be functions you currently have on your vehicle that you would like to see incorporated. Most everyones take is to keep the Scout simple, like the original. However, the software/tech side is where 2026 can shine through. What ideas do you guys have?

It is pretty common for Scouts to have CB radios when trail riding with buddies. My thought is a touchscreen CB button you click and the face of a CB comes up on the bottom of the screen (with a hide button if you don't want it left on the screen after setting the channels). CB buttons are functional just as the actual CB unit would have been. This would avoid having to mount a bulky CB radio to the bottom of your new dash. It is also unique because of the two below options the buyer would have:
1. Scout Store sells a hand held mic that comes with a plug and play add on with a female receiver that secures into one of the accessory port locations on the dash. Might be nice if the plug and play accessory could include a mic hook to hold it in place when not in use.
2. Second option, if buyer doesn't need the feel of the old school mic in his/her hand, you are also able to operate a push to talk function with a steering wheel button using the built in mic installed for cell phone hands free driving. Don't know if the typical push to talk button would work alongside this, or if it would need its own button?

Incoming audio for both options is played over the stereo system, just as a phone call does. I thought about incorporating something similar to the Zello app (app that turns your phone into a walkie talkie), but this would limit you to usage within cell phone coverage....not a good source on the trails. A CB antenna might need to come with the accessory package as well?? This isn't just a trail function; it would be used for groups traveling together as well.

Reactions: J Alynn
I could see the Scout app having a winch function useful. Spotter outside operates the winch via the app. While a winch button on the touchscreen that opens up basic in and out winch rope functions for the drivers use. I believe these could be touchscreen buttons because they are not commonly used buttons. Their could also be a 'Trail Driving" screen that is activated at the beginning of hitting the trails and things like this winch function could be one of the things that is on that screen

I think just an assortment of screen saver images for screen would be cool that look like vintage screens or even just vent/grills to look more vintage and less tablet like.

How about a park mode only app to play/stream movies then have a forward or rear facing projector lense so if camping the tech hungry monsters (I mean kids) could have movie night. Could project on tent or even your overhead garage door with s’mores night in the driveway

Maybe with your mic idea it could be Bluetooth and have a kareoke app for tailgating or back to projector and live stream football games on a canopy when tailgating

If the dash/instrument cluster were a screen or several screens it would be neat to not only choose between different 'themes' to display information but also to be able to customize what that information is too. Some of the themes could be more modern, but keeping in tune with scout design it would be a nice touch to have themes that look/feel like the old analog gauges.

For example, and I'm just spitballing here, one driver may use the 4 instruments to display Temperature, Battery Charge Level, Torque Monitoring and Motor Load whereas a 2nd driver may proffer Distance Range rather than Batter Charge Level. Maybe they want the to change places where the Temperature and Motor Load are too, so they can switch that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116_174226.png
    Screenshot_20230116_174226.png
    460.1 KB · Views: 3
If the dash/instrument cluster were a screen or several screens it would be neat to not only choose between different 'themes' to display information but also to be able to customize what that information is too. Some of the themes could be more modern, but keeping in tune with scout design it would be a nice touch to have themes that look/feel like the old analog gauges.

For example, and I'm just spitballing here, one driver may use the 4 instruments to display Temperature, Battery Charge Level, Torque Monitoring and Motor Load whereas a 2nd driver may proffer Distance Range rather than Batter Charge Level. Maybe they want the to change places where the Temperature and Motor Load are too, so they can switch that.
My previous Audi TT had the electronic gauge screen that could be modified and made it cool to personalize-to some degree. Maybe Scout can steal that technology from mother VW.

Reactions: Rallye
My previous Audi TT had the electronic gauge screen that could be modified and made it cool to personalize-to some degree. Maybe Scout can steal that technology from mother VW.
mother VW haha

I was thinking about this more the other day. Drag and drop functionality similar to rearranging apps on your smartphone for different gauges/displays could lend itself well here.

The trick would be to allow for customization in a way that's both simple/intuitive as well as powerful enough for a true 'customized user experience'

Reactions: Harris005
mother VW haha

I was thinking about this more the other day. Drag and drop functionality similar to rearranging apps on your smartphone for different gauges/displays could lend itself well here.

The trick would be to allow for customization in a way that's both simple/intuitive as well as powerful enough for a true 'customized user experience'
I’d be curious if DOT and regulators would allow full customization? No idea if gauge locations are regulated for specific locations or just “behind the wheel” location.
Love the idea. Even if there could be an off-road transfer that GPS determines and then allows full mod.
Great idea if it can be done.

Reactions: Harris005
I’d also like a flexible display option for analog or digital speedometer. Sometimes I like the gauge and other times just seeing the digital is nice. I guess if head up display is available that would solve the digital request and have to say I really like the head up on my wife’s MDX

Reactions: Rallye
I think just an assortment of screen saver images for screen would be cool that look like vintage screens or even just vent/grills to look more vintage and less tablet like.

How about a park mode only app to play/stream movies then have a forward or rear facing projector lense so if camping the tech hungry monsters (I mean kids) could have movie night. Could project on tent or even your overhead garage door with s’mores night in the driveway
This is a good idea while fast charging too. It’s nice to have Disney plus for the kids. I have that in my Tesla. Also, nice to use anytime waiting.

I hesitate writing this one because it takes away from the "simplistic, bare bones, money savings" approach. With that all said, I would think it best to have this as an option the buyer could choose to have installed at the factory, or a home at a later date.

I got stuck on the word "easy" regarding the hardtop removal in the Scout Design Team Feedback V1 thread. A handful of post seemed to suggest this idea of making sure the hardtop could be removed easily. I know I dread taking the hardtop off of my Scout II. I have been stuck on the idea of being able to have a soft top option, which could easily be dropped down on a sunny day. I could see a real advantage in making the hardtop removable with little to no hassle, and for some owners to be good with an easy hardtop removal and no need for a softtop purchase.

What if the top had a couple cone shaped alignment pegs on each side (back quarter panel area) that ensure the top is positioned just right when it is set down on the Scout. Then with the app a button is clicked that operates a couple clamp down motors on each side, locking it in place. This same technique could be used above the windshield possibly, or two typical hand clamps would be fast enough and easily reached too. With just a click of a button, the top can "eas[ily]" be released. This could greatly reduce the time and hassle of removing the hardtop, helping to change the perception of dreading to take off the hardtop (especially if it is just for one sunny Topless Tuesday drive). By using the app to perform this function it should save money rather than installing an actual button somewhere. It also allows the driver to be outside the vehicle ensuring everything is in line and watching it as the button is clicked.

I could see the best design being mounting spots for simplistic, bare bones, no tools needed hand clamps for the first option. Then an upgraded (factory build, or at home later) electric clamp option that uses the same mounting points as the handle. The wiring harness already has the female connectors at each location in preparation for the electric motor clamp upgrade if so desired.

Last edited:
I hesitate writing this one because it takes away from the "simplistic, bare bones, money savings" approach. With that all said, I would think it best to have this as an option the buyer could choose to have installed at the factory, or a home at a later date.

I got stuck on the word "easy" regarding the hardtop removal in the Scout Design Team Feedback V1 thread. A handful of post seemed to suggest this idea of making sure the hardtop could be removed easily. I know I dread taking the hardtop off of my Scout II. I have been stuck on the idea of being able to have a soft top option, which could easily be dropped down on a sunny day. I could see a real advantage in making the hardtop removable with little to no hassle, and for some owners to be good with an easy hardtop removal and no need for a softtop purchase.

What if the top had a couple cone shaped alignment pegs on each side (back quarter panel area) that ensure the top is positioned just right when it is set down on the Scout. Then with the app a button is clicked that operates a couple clamp down motors on each side, locking it in place. This same technique could be used above the windshield possibly, or two typical hand clamps would be fast enough and easily reached too. With just a click of a button, the top can "eas[ily]" be released. This could greatly reduce the time and hassle of removing the hardtop, helping to change the perception of dreading to take off the hardtop (especially if it is just for one sunny Topless Tuesday drive). By using the app to perform this function it should save money rather than installing an actual button somewhere. It also allows the driver to be outside the vehicle ensuring everything is in line and watching it as the button is clicked.

I could see the best design being mounting spots for simplistic, bare bones, no tools needed hand clamps for the first option. Then an upgraded (factory build, or at home later) electric clamp option that uses the same mounting points as the handle. The wiring harness already has the female connectors at each location in preparation for the electric motor clamp upgrade if so desired.
I've had two JLs, and Jeep has the hard top thing down pat.

There are alignment pins already. Yes there are bolts, but every Wrangler comes with a tool kit. All the designed to be removed components share either a T40 or T50 bolt. These tool kits have a ratchet and the bits. It's easy and STUPID easy once you get a power screwdriver.

I've had two JLs, and Jeep has the hard top thing down pat.

There are alignment pins already. Yes there are bolts, but every Wrangler comes with a tool kit. All the designed to be removed components share either a T40 or T50 bolt. These tool kits have a ratchet and the bits. It's easy and STUPID easy once you get a power screwdriver.
Bronco also comes with a tool kit and what little mods I’ve done so far on daughter’s Bronco has been a piece of cake-that said her’s has a soft top but I get the concern over easy on-easy off hardtops

Reactions: Rustic_father
It is pretty common for Scouts to have CB radios when trail riding with buddies. My thought is a touchscreen CB button you click and the face of a CB comes up on the bottom of the screen (with a hide button if you don't want it left on the screen after setting the channels). CB buttons are functional just as the actual CB unit would have been. This would avoid having to mount a bulky CB radio to the bottom of your new dash. It is also unique because of the two below options the buyer would have:
1. Scout Store sells a hand held mic that comes with a plug and play add on with a female receiver that secures into one of the accessory port locations on the dash. Might be nice if the plug and play accessory could include a mic hook to hold it in place when not in use.
2. Second option, if buyer doesn't need the feel of the old school mic in his/her hand, you are also able to operate a push to talk function with a steering wheel button using the built in mic installed for cell phone hands free driving. Don't know if the typical push to talk button would work alongside this, or if it would need its own button?

Incoming audio for both options is played over the stereo system, just as a phone call does. I thought about incorporating something similar to the Zello app (app that turns your phone into a walkie talkie), but this would limit you to usage within cell phone coverage....not a good source on the trails. A CB antenna might need to come with the accessory package as well?? This isn't just a trail function; it would be used for groups traveling together as well.
CB's in 2026, really? I can't imagine new Scout spending any money on R&D for any CB hardware/ software. I like the nostalgia, and I do have one in my Scout. But I think it's best left to aftermarket solutions.
That said, since we're brainstorming: Imagine a 'private' Scout only radio service network. Just for the cool kids...

Reactions: Rustic_father

How about a park mode only app to play/stream movies then have a forward or rear facing projector lense so if camping the tech hungry monsters (I mean kids) could have movie night. Could project on tent or even your overhead garage door with s’mores night in the
I’d be curious if DOT and regulators would allow full customization? No idea if gauge locations are regulated for specific locations or just “behind the wheel” location.
Love the idea. Even if there could be an off-road transfer that GPS determines and then allows full mod.
Great idea if it can be done.

This is where multiple screens could help. The behind-the-wheel screen could satisfy all the DOT requirements, while the center-dash screen could be left for customizations. But, please keep climate controls using dedicated knobs and buttoms.

We spoke about this earlier, in that Polaris has it's Ride Command app. Something like this for Scout/Jeep/Bronco/off-roading in general would be amazing.