Ammeter!! How could I forget??

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

lefty

1st Year Member
Feb 7, 2023
People may want to ban me from this site after reading this but I can't resist.... If you've read some of my comments you'll know I lean more toward being a purist and am in favor of a more traditional, nostalgic version of the Scout. I realize this vehicle is entering a new phase in the trajectory of the electric vehicles but I'm still hoping for something with more knobs, switches, buttons and dials than a monolithic touchscreen.

So....drumroll.... I am adding the ammeter to my wish list! I am not even sure I know of any other trucks that ever used one and it would be such a cool throwback. I realize most wouldn't know how to use it but I love seeing it on my dash. I love watching it tick when I use something electric in the truck. It screams uniqueness and IH!

I suppose the verbal lashing is about to begin.... :)

No verbal lashing from me...

Ammeter for remaining battery life? Ammeter showing voltage request when pressing the go fast pedal? 🍺
People may want to ban me from this site after reading this but I can't resist.... If you've read some of my comments you'll know I lean more toward being a purist and am in favor of a more traditional, nostalgic version of the Scout. I realize this vehicle is entering a new phase in the trajectory of the electric vehicles but I'm still hoping for something with more knobs, switches, buttons and dials than a monolithic touchscreen.

So....drumroll.... I am adding the ammeter to my wish list! I am not even sure I know of any other trucks that ever used one and it would be such a cool throwback. I realize most wouldn't know how to use it but I love seeing it on my dash. I love watching it tick when I use something electric in the truck. It screams uniqueness and IH!

@lefty- I think if you are reading back through many of the posted design ideas to date you’ll find that the majority that seem to post are all leaning toward a more nostalgic vehicle. Just letting you know you aren’t alone.

Reactions: Harris005

The only person that would do any sort of verbal lashing here for this sort of thing so I'll just point out my usual thing about adding any unnecessary complexity for things that serve no practical purpose.

I like to think that the origional scout trucks were (among other things) very minimalistic, the dashboards were simple even for the times. i would hope that the modern version would also take a minimalist approach and not add any unnecessary knobs/screens/buttons that doesn't have a needed everyday / immediate driving function.

with that being said would you consider it fufilling your wish if it was a digital representation of an ammeter? Such as having a small section of the dashboard screen with an ammeter showing the battery charge?

I would like to see a digitized version of hula girl with a long grass skirt representing a full battery, and a short grass skirt representing a low battery.
Perhaps it should be reversed....A short skirt would represent a high ammount of energy since many would be more "eager/energetic" to see that sort of thing

Perhaps it should be reversed....A short skirt would represent a high ammount of energy since many would be more "eager/energetic" to see that sort of thing
Agree 100% with lefty. Minimalist. Simple. Buttons and switches. Not touch screens. How about making the minimalist thing an option. Sorta like the SSII. Give a computer assist everything version ( Midas edition ) for all the wanna be’s And the more traditional meat and potatoes version for the folks that want to really use and have fun with their trucks.
And any possibility of a hybrid ? Even if it’s a small engine to power a generator or make heat in the cold northern winters without depleting your batteries in no time If not I’ll just keep my daily driver ‘79.

Agree 100% with lefty. Minimalist. Simple. Buttons and switches. Not touch screens. How about making the minimalist thing an option. Sorta like the SSII. Give a computer assist everything version ( Midas edition ) for all the wanna be’s And the more traditional meat and potatoes version for the folks that want to really use and have fun with their trucks.
And any possibility of a hybrid ? Even if it’s a small engine to power a generator or make heat in the cold northern winters without depleting your batteries in no time If not I’ll just keep my daily driver ‘79
And any possibility of a hybrid ? Even if it’s a small engine to power a generator or make heat in the cold northern winters without depleting your batteries in no time If not I’ll just keep my daily driver ‘79.
@Jamie@ScoutMotors has made it clear that the new Scouts will be EV only. If you stroll through the design threads you’ll see the various discussions and Jamie’s breakdown as to why they are going EV only if you are interested. BTW I like your ‘79. Great color combo

For what it's worth, here is a link to an interior image of the Ineos Grenadier, a new-to-market vehicle for 2023. It has a very traditional/utilitarian dashboard with a very small touch-screen. Their design principles are centered on the fact that it's too difficult to operate a touchscreen while off-roading. A lot of articles have popped up recently discussing the increased concern about the difficulty of focusing on the road while operating a touchscreen for everything.
It will be interesting to see what the reviewers say once the Grenadier is in the hands of consumers.

Agree 100% with lefty. Minimalist. Simple. Buttons and switches. Not touch screens. How about making the minimalist thing an option. Sorta like the SSII.

I don't like being a debbie-downer but a vehicle, ICE or EV built in the 2026 will have a screen. Additionally options galore only adds to not only manufacturing/design/supply complexities and difficulties but it also shrinks down profit margins which makes it harder for the company to succeed. You need to remember that this is a new company and it needs to turn profits or it will go out of buisness. an Option for every little thing is a sure fire way to put it on to the path of not existing in a few years.
Give a computer assist everything version ( Midas edition ) for all the wanna be’s And the more traditional meat and potatoes version for the folks that want to really use and have fun with their trucks.
what kind of things do you suggest will be for the "Wanna-be's"? and what kinds of things do you think is more traditional and would adhere to a meat and potatoes version? how would you even define a wanna be? can a wana be not have fun with their truck?

As others have pointed out that this Scout will be full electric, it has been the core idea around it's founding "creating an all american electric SUV that will cater to the American market"

EVs do suffer in the cold more than ICE vehicles, but at the same time ICE vehicles struggle to keep vehicles cool in the summer time and are prone to overheating as a result. Everything has it's draw backs and nothing is perfect. EVs with a Heat pump(tesla Model y, Rivians) are much more efficient than ones that rely on a resistant-style of heater(Ford mustang, VW ID4). Also a thing you need to remember is whenever you are home your vehicle will be plugged in....with the power on. So not only will you NOT deplete your battery, but in addition the vehicle can be ready to heat the cabin faster without waiting for an engine to warm up 3 miles later.

For what it's worth, here is a link to an interior image of the Ineos Grenadier, a new-to-market vehicle for 2023. It has a very traditional/utilitarian dashboard with a very small touch-screen. Their design principles are centered on the fact that it's too difficult to operate a touchscreen while off-roading. A lot of articles have popped up recently discussing the increased concern about the difficulty of focusing on the road while operating a touchscreen for everything.
It will be interesting to see what the reviewers say once the Grenadier is in the hands of consumers.
Personally I don't think the Ineos Grenadier dashboard looks traditional/utilitarian. Utilitarian is by definition designed to be useful and pratical regardless of ascetics....so not everything that is ugly is utilitarian. The excessive buttons/levers/switches looks more like a fidget gadget on steroids rather than a useful and practical dashboard. To me it looks more like an airplane rather than a useful car.

I will advocate to say that as much as those who don't like it the tesla screen is pratical and utilitarian....it is very intuitive and easy to use....i will again restate my position to say i am not suggesting that there should be the tesla model and only use a screen...i merely want to point out that it isn't as bad as everybody seems to scream and stomp their feet about. I think a good balance between a screen and NECESSARY buttons is the key.

I don't like being a debbie-downer but a vehicle, ICE or EV built in the 2026 will have a screen. Additionally options galore only adds to not only manufacturing/design/supply complexities and difficulties but it also shrinks down profit margins which makes it harder for the company to succeed. You need to remember that this is a new company and it needs to turn profits or it will go out of buisness. an Option for every little thing is a sure fire way to put it on to the path of not existing in a few years.

what kind of things do you suggest will be for the "Wanna-be's"? and what kinds of things do you think is more traditional and would adhere to a meat and potatoes version? how would you even define a wanna be? can a wana be not have fun with their truck?

As others have pointed out that this Scout will be full electric, it has been the core idea around it's founding "creating an all american electric SUV that will cater to the American market"

EVs do suffer in the cold more than ICE vehicles, but at the same time ICE vehicles struggle to keep vehicles cool in the summer time and are prone to overheating as a result. Everything has it's draw backs and nothing is perfect. EVs with a Heat pump(tesla Model y, Rivians) are much more efficient than ones that rely on a resistant-style of heater(Ford mustang, VW ID4). Also a thing you need to remember is whenever you are home your vehicle will be plugged in....with the power on. So not only will you NOT deplete your battery, but in addition the vehicle can be ready to heat the cabin faster without waiting for an engine to warm up 3 miles later.

Personally I don't think the Ineos Grenadier dashboard looks traditional/utilitarian. Utilitarian is by definition designed to be useful and pratical regardless of ascetics....so not everything that is ugly is utilitarian. The excessive buttons/levers/switches looks more like a fidget gadget on steroids rather than a useful and practical dashboard. To me it looks more like an airplane rather than a useful car.

I will advocate to say that as much as those who don't like it the tesla screen is pratical and utilitarian....it is very intuitive and easy to use....i will again restate my position to say i am not suggesting that there should be the tesla model and only use a screen...i merely want to point out that it isn't as bad as everybody seems to scream and stomp their feet about. I think a good balance between a screen and NECESSARY buttons is the key.
Perhaps Jamie and the design team needs to mock up a couple basic ideas that span from all screen to nearly all buttons and set up a poll. While not knocking @Rustic_father you have been very adamant about screens and Tesla style electronics and this forum is set up for everyone to have opinions. At the same time many others want bare bones and that is understandable as well. I lie somewhere in between and like hearing others suggestions in order for us all to get the best vehicle possible. If 90% of Scout diehards want simple and buttons only (though I agree it is unlikely) then we should continue to listen rather than always dismissing about cost and complexity. If Scout determines the manual controls cost $1,000 more per vehicle but don’t consider it AND 80% of the Scout diehards opt for a Jeep 4Xe because the Scout is too modern, then does Scout Motors win in the long road when they lose buyers because it doesn’t carry the nostalgia/history of the Scouts we all love?
Based on every new car today there will be some form of screen-I think that’s a given. That said I’d prefer my dash have an iPad sized screen and manual controls vs. a 25” flat screen and no controls.
I think a poll, just like the color poll Jamie put out would help give everyone a chance to chime in and help steer Scout. Even if it’s posting 5-6 dash interiors from other vehicles ( cars, trucks and adventure/off-road makes)it would help steer what the majority of us are hoping for.
My only last hope is a good portion of the dash is quality materials and not all molded plastic and/or piano black trim. As I said once before-Audi’s have great materials/finishes on their interiors-albeit a bit more modern than a Scout should have IMHO but still a solid starting point

Perhaps Jamie and the design team needs to mock up a couple basic ideas that span from all screen to nearly all buttons and set up a poll. While not knocking @Rustic_father you have been very adamant about screens and Tesla style electronics and this forum is set up for everyone to have opinions. At the same time many others want bare bones and that is understandable as well. I lie somewhere in between and like hearing others suggestions in order for us all to get the best vehicle possible. If 90% of Scout diehards want simple and buttons only (though I agree it is unlikely) then we should continue to listen rather than always dismissing about cost and complexity. If Scout determines the manual controls cost $1,000 more per vehicle but don’t consider it AND 80% of the Scout diehards opt for a Jeep 4Xe because the Scout is too modern, then does Scout Motors win in the long road when they lose buyers because it doesn’t carry the nostalgia/history of the Scouts we all love?
Based on every new car today there will be some form of screen-I think that’s a given. That said I’d prefer my dash have an iPad sized screen and manual controls vs. a 25” flat screen and no controls.
I think a poll, just like the color poll Jamie put out would help give everyone a chance to chime in and help steer Scout. Even if it’s posting 5-6 dash interiors from other vehicles ( cars, trucks and adventure/off-road makes)it would help steer what the majority of us are hoping for.
My only last hope is a good portion of the dash is quality materials and not all molded plastic and/or piano black trim. As I said once before-Audi’s have great materials/finishes on their interiors-albeit a bit more modern than a Scout should have IMHO but still a solid starting point
I think you misundstand me. I am not adament about screens. I do NOT want Tesla style dashboards.

What I am constantly trying to do is show that screens aren't the devil's and the terrible things many people are shreaking about like school children.....it reminds me of the times when cell phones started being common and people said they will never give up a land line and land lines are better.....or when phones evolved and people yelled and stomped their feet that they didn't want physical buttons to go away.

My position is that screens are good for most of vehicle functions. Buttons are essential for driving critical functions. I'm trying to get people into thinking about what buttons they ACTUALLY press on a given day/week.

Tactical buttons are much more pleasureable.....so why not make all the essential things that people press every day or atleast once per week into a physical tactile button......but everything else put on a screen?

I always hated that my BMW has too many buttons. I change driving mode (eco/comfort/sport) once every 3-4 months....does that need to be 3 buttons that need to be designed, manufactured, installed, wired, and then sit in my car collecting dust? No.

That is my position.

Everyone is entitled to their option and I’ve never negated that. I’m trying to be a realist when someone suggests a vehicle shouldn’t have any screen…..honestly tell me what mass production vehicle build in 2023 doesn’t have a screen? So to expect a vehicle built in 2026 not to have a screen is unrealistic.

This is the hard part that scout motors has ahead of them. When trying to balance passionate enthusiasts with a business. Yes they could make a vehicle with no screen and a million excellent buttons and levers that are just like the original scout….but how many “normal people” or non scout purists will buy it after the community? Probably not many. So they have to balance making a profitable car with honoring the previous models.

The reason why the scout will have a nice infotainment set-up may have very little to do with wanting physical controls like the good ole days. The new Scout will be an EV, and as an EV, there will be a lot of information and options for charging and other EV-specific info- no different than enabling configurations on your iPhone. And as far as I can tell, nobody is asking for manual controls on a computer or phone these days. You will be very happy to have an easy to use infotainment system with an EV, not only for all of the direct U/I benefits, but also to auto-route you to the closest fast charger based on your location and state of charge, review dashcam or video footage from cameras, perhaps watch a movie or show while in "park" at a charger or to let your kids (or you) play video games. Just some examples of what the future might hold. My R1T has physical controls on the steering wheel and stalk for all core features you would expect (DRIVE, lights, wipers, adaptive cruise, DRIVER +, PARK, etc. I also believe that the interfaces on most of these Infotainment systems have finally gotten better.

The reason why the scout will have a nice infotainment set-up may have very little to do with wanting physical controls like the good ole days. The new Scout will be an EV, and as an EV, there will be a lot of information and options for charging and other EV-specific info- no different than enabling configurations on your iPhone. And as far as I can tell, nobody is asking for manual controls on a computer or phone these days. You will be very happy to have an easy to use infotainment system with an EV, not only for all of the direct U/I benefits, but also to auto-route you to the closest fast charger based on your location and state of charge, review dashcam or video footage from cameras, perhaps watch a movie or show while in "park" at a charger or to let your kids (or you) play video games. Just some examples of what the future might hold. My R1T has physical controls on the steering wheel and stalk for all core features you would expect (DRIVE, lights, wipers, adaptive cruise, DRIVER +, PARK, etc. I also believe that the interfaces on most of these Infotainment systems have finally

I know there will be modern tech associated with this new scout. If I wanted new bare bones 4x4 transpiration id buy a Roxor Jeep knock off for $20k
What I dont need is more unnecessary things to break and drive cost up , and have to waste time off from work to sit at a dealer service department. I don’t need a heated steering wheel, I own gloves , cup holders that light up different colors. or a screen that controls literally everything in the car. I’ve built cars and have friends that are mechanics. I hear the cost and mark up of replacing some of these things. Things as simple as a heated mirror or a headlight assembly are rediculously expensive even though they are surprisingly inexpensive to make. A failed touch screen that controls my heat and defogger that costs $3500 and is on back order for the entire winter is not modern convenience to me. And if Scout can’t figure out something as simple as how to make 2 different dash boards. One high tech with nothing but a flat screen and a second one with a more traditional Scout look with maybe an information center that doesn’t actually control functions. that both plug into the same wiring harness then they need to get a better I T team and do more homework before they start building. The “ you can have it in any color as long as it’s black “ ended with the model T in 1927. Unless this mindset will also result in the Scout being close to most inexpensive vehicle on the road like the T was It would be nice but I don’t count on that.
I would love to see this new Scout. Id love to have a 2027 parked next to my 1979 in the driveway both in Sierra Tan with fake wood decals. I pray it doesn’t fade away like the planned Packard revival and prototype about 20 years ago. But I want the new Scout to be something I’m proud of. like the old scout. it needs to be something special, built beyond just heavy duty. something different and innovative not another cookie cutter.
It needs to redifine the off road EV market much the same way it defined and created what an SUV was to be in the 60’s and others copied. It’s not going to be easy but Scout needs to think of something different.
Scout needs to “ Lead the way , again “.

Reactions: J Alynn