A Bronco Mistake I Hope Scout Doesn't Make

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.

lefty

1st Year Member
Feb 7, 2023
Another design consideration I wanted to throw out there. Sorry a few of these have been somewhat piece meal....

I feel like Ford missed the mark when designing the new Bronco's hard top. When you look at a Bronco from behind the hard top looks too skinny for the width of the body. Similar to the fenders flares, it's an awkward look. Not to mention, it seems like they are sacrificing cabin space. I think the original Scouts and Jeep did/do a very nice job blending their hard tops into the contours of the body. My hope is that the new Scout can avoid the mis-matched look of the Bronco's hard top.

Reactions: Michael Dean
This is probably related to whether the top is body colored or not. The black hard tops make the roof look smaller, whereas the Jeep's with body-painted roofs look better integrated.

jeep.jpg

bronco.jpg

One other thing to consider is that both the Jeep and the Bronco have fenders that extend over the wheels (Jeep more than the Bronco), which also makes the body look narrower. The Scout II had mild fender flares and utilized more available space.

scoutii.jpg

Reactions: Michael Dean
This is probably related to whether the top is body colored or not. The black hard tops make the roof look smaller, whereas the Jeep's with body-painted roofs look better integrated.

View attachment 775

View attachment 774

One other thing to consider is that both the Jeep and the Bronco have fenders that extend over the wheels (Jeep more than the Bronco), which also makes the body look narrower. The Scout II had mild fender flares and utilized more available space.

View attachment 776
I looked at my daughter’s Bronco this weekend. It’s a soft top mind you but I’m still having trouble understanding what you mean by looking/being too narrow on the top? As I look at the scout above (so similar to our ‘77 BTW-and such great lines even in this day and age) it seems to come in narrower as well. Not sure if it’s the 1-2” offset of roof or not-maybe I do see it or maybe it just doesn’t catch my attention as much. Not challenging you in any way-I’m just trying to understand what you meant. I agree with Jeep feeling skinny because of wheel wells but trying to understand Bronco. Side by side I think the Bronco seems really wide compared to the Wrangler even though it isn’t really. I will say, and it ties into my seating comments, the interior width of the Bronco is narrow for as substantial as it looks from the exterior.
Another vote for bench seat in front-in case anyone else is keeping track of it.

Reactions: Harris005
I looked at my daughter’s Bronco this weekend. It’s a soft top mind you but I’m still having trouble understanding what you mean by looking/being too narrow on the top? As I look at the scout above (so similar to our ‘77 BTW-and such great lines even in this day and age) it seems to come in narrower as well. Not sure if it’s the 1-2” offset of roof or not-maybe I do see it or maybe it just doesn’t catch my attention as much. Not challenging you in any way-I’m just trying to understand what you meant. I agree with Jeep feeling skinny because of wheel wells but trying to understand Bronco. Side by side I think the Bronco seems really wide compared to the Wrangler even though it isn’t really. I will say, and it ties into my seating comments, the interior width of the Bronco is narrow for as substantial as it looks from the exterior.
Another vote for bench seat in front-in case anyone else is keeping track of it.

You are correct that the Bronco is wider than the Jeep, and I don't think the Bronco necessarily lacks width. I just meant that the sheet metal sides of both the Bronco and Jeep (more so on the Jeep) are inset versus the fender flares and edges of the tires. If you brought the sheet metal out closer to the edges of the fender flares (like the Scout II) you'd gain some width on the interior. Whether you need that or not in the Bronco is up for debate, but as you pointed out, you feel like the Bronco feels a little cramped width-wise. Obviously that varies for everyone.

Reactions: J Alynn
You are correct that the Bronco is wider than the Jeep, and I don't think the Bronco necessarily lacks width. I just meant that the sheet metal sides of both the Bronco and Jeep (more so on the Jeep) are inset versus the fender flares and edges of the tires. If you brought the sheet metal out closer to the edges of the fender flares (like the Scout II) you'd gain some width on the interior. Whether you need that or not in the Bronco is up for debate, but as you pointed out, you feel like the Bronco feels a little cramped width-wise. Obviously that varies for everyone.
Agreed. I’m not a huge guy but I don’t wear skinny jeans either 😀. In the TMI arena, I have a hip bone issue and bolstering is where I suffer. Had a BMW and after 13 months I traded it because the bolstering was too aggressive and caused pain. Hence me supporting the bench seat groupies 😀. I was more interested in what Lefty meant in his initial post but I agree with all you said. But I am surprised EVERY time I get in the Bronco how narrow it is because its stature certainly doesn’t scream skinny. Guess the roll cage and all the soft top hardware steals interior space too-which… as I say it makes me realize that’s the issue. Haha-who needs a therapist-if you ramble long enough you answer your own questions 😂

Agreed. I’m not a huge guy but I don’t wear skinny jeans either 😀. In the TMI arena, I have a hip bone issue and bolstering is where I suffer. Had a BMW and after 13 months I traded it because the bolstering was too aggressive and caused pain. Hence me supporting the bench seat groupies 😀. I was more interested in what Lefty meant in his initial post but I agree with all you said. But I am surprised EVERY time I get in the Bronco how narrow it is because its stature certainly doesn’t scream skinny. Guess the roll cage and all the soft top hardware steals interior space too-which… as I say it makes me realize that’s the issue. Haha-who needs a therapist-if you ramble long enough you answer your own questions 😂
As a Registered Dietitian, my random fun fact is that the average adult man waist size is 40 inches.

• Haha
Reactions: Tuff66
I agree. This is a truck and should have truck seats. There is a place for sport/racing seats. That should be an option. Maybe standard on the Super Scout.