2 Door

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
X million. I’m waiting to see if a two door scout will be an option otherwise my next vehicle will be a two door bronco.
If they are listening to the suggestions of this thread, then they would see that the need for a 2 door with removable top, is a no brainer.

Reactions: Bodie and kiji
If they are listening to the suggestions of this thread, then they would see that the need for a 2 door with removable top, is a no brainer.
The issue is that to be profitable you have to have Heather go with her boyfriend down to the dealership and choose the 2 door Scout over the 2 door FJ cruiser...

Or look at the current 2 door vehicles that are A: offered B: on the road. Which we do see with the Wrangler and Bronco... the results speak for themselves.

I believe the 2 door bronco outsells the full size, so I sure hope they make one. I would also love to see a roll bar.
No way the 2 door Bronco leads sales. Everyone is going to 4 doors. Even rumors that Jeep will drop the 2 door Wrangler. Off road vehicles and trucks have become the new trend for the minivan crowd, so demand for 4 doors is high.
The FAQ says Scout will be 4 doors, but I hope they realize there is a good market for those of us who prefer 2 door, smaller vehicles.
2 doors please!

Reactions: lefty
No way the 2 door Bronco leads sales. Everyone is going to 4 doors. Even rumors that Jeep will drop the 2 door Wrangler. Off road vehicles and trucks have become the new trend for the minivan crowd, so demand for 4 doors is high.
The FAQ says Scout will be 4 doors, but I hope they realize there is a good market for those of us who prefer 2 door, smaller vehicles.
2 doors please!

We do realize it and would like to do something someday. For now the issue remains with a shorter wheelbase sacrificing battery space. As batteries get smaller, weigh less and hold more charge, there will be a lot more flexibility. Let's see what happens in the next three years it takes to get to market. 🍻

Reactions: Colt_44_magnum
I actually just put this response into the design thread but will repost here too.

I loved owning a two door when I was single and didn't have a family. Not to mention they just look cooler. However, as a parent with a child and dog, a two door isn't practical and would be a deal-killer for me. I will also say that I have really come to appreciate the extra cargo space a 4-door provides when you put the second row of seats down.

Finally, I already own a 2 door Scout that I'm not getting rid of so I don't intend to buy a second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harris005
We do realize it and would like to do something someday. For now the issue remains with a shorter wheelbase sacrificing battery space. As batteries get smaller, weigh less and hold more charge, there will be a lot more flexibility. Let's see what happens in the next three years it takes to get to market. 🍻
Can we make the battery thicker to offset the shorter wheel base? Does center of gravity become a concern? I personally would sacrifice some range if it means I can get a 2-door.

Can we make the battery thicker to offset the shorter wheel base? Does center of gravity become a concern? I personally would sacrifice some range if it means I can get a 2-door.
Generically speaking, yes, stacking batteries affects the center of gravity (raising it higher) which in an off-road vehicle is even less desirable. There are other engineering reasons as well in terms of cooling, packaging and more that work against stacking batteries.

Let's see what transpires on the battery/engineering side for the future.

Let's see what transpires on the battery/engineering side for the future.

For solid-state cells, everyone has their eyes on the wearable and IoT space: tiny trackers, sensors, earbuds, smartwatches, etc. That's where they should show up first, right? Then seeing what transpires means how the sizing increases and the pricing drops from there with advancements, I suppose?

There are already super tiny ones in an SMD package and these datasheets are almost hilarious to read for anyone who is used to cells more suited to ebikes. Like this one has a 0.1 mAh nominal capacity but with good cycle characteristics compared to a typical 21700 cell. If we used these chip cells in a car it'd take around 300 million of them at a cost of over $2 billion for a single car, mounted on 100,000 sqft of PCBs.

Last edited:
I'd also prefer a two door, but if current battery tech gets in the way would at least like to see the general spirit of a smaller, more manageable truck. My Scout II is significantly more compact than my partner's 2021 Rav4, and even that's considered a small SUV these days.

I'd also prefer a two door, but if current battery tech gets in the way would at least like to see the general spirit of a smaller, more manageable truck. My Scout II is significantly more compact than my partner's 2021 Rav4, and even that's considered a small SUV these days.

I feel like I've said this elsewhere, but based on the concept sketches it seems like either the pickup version is huge or the SUV is surprisingly compact despite being a 4-door, or it is somewhere between those two possibilities. I might still get a 4-door if it is small enough even though I also prefer something like a Jimny-sized 2-door.

Reactions: J Alynn
I feel like I've said this elsewhere, but based on the concept sketches it seems like either the pickup version is huge or the SUV is surprisingly compact despite being a 4-door, or it is somewhere between those two possibilities. I might still get a 4-door if it is small enough even though I also prefer something like a Jimny-sized 2-door.
Having just posted the new Jimmy 4 door under competitors I’m now onboard with that size as a 4-door. Kinda wishing the Jimmy would come state side. Also wish Suzuki was better quality but maybe they’ve improved over last 5-8 years.

If a two-door option is in the mix in the future as batteries develop, it would be cool to have the 4-door option be called the scout traveler. I am assuming the 4-door scout wheelbase would be competitive with the 4-door bronco (which is 116" wheelbase, the original travelers had a 118" wheelbase). IF there are plans for a two-door as battery technology progresses, call the 4-door the Traveler, not just the "Scout 4-door"!

@sambown - i like how you're thinking about this. although, like most SUVs these days, I assume Scout Motors will have to offer (in the future) some form of larger offering. BMW, Jeep, etc are all offering an extended size vehicle that's larger than their standard SUV but smaller than these monster sized SUVs like the Tahoe, Suburban, Wagoneer, etc. When we get there perhaps that will be the "Traveler", "Travelall" or "XLT"?

Reactions: Jamie@ScoutMotors
@sambown - i like how you're thinking about this. although, like most SUVs these days, I assume Scout Motors will have to offer (in the future) some form of larger offering. BMW, Jeep, etc are all offering an extended size vehicle that's larger than their standard SUV but smaller than these monster sized SUVs like the Tahoe, Suburban, Wagoneer, etc. When we get there perhaps that will be the "Traveler", "Travelall" or "XLT"?
Travelall!

This two-door/four-door debacle will last until SM decides to make a 2-door. And they should, a scout was a 2-door vehicle, and buyers should have the option for two-door in the future once technology improves. I was talking with my dad this weekend, and he seems pretty irritated that a 2-door is not an option. I have been talking with others, and they are irritated it is only going to be electric, not gas. Here is my opinion on the matter:

IF International Harvester was still around, they would be making a 4-door scout. They probably would have made one 20 years ago. That was the direction the market was headed, people needed to be able to haul the families around. I definitely think an IH Scout 4-door would have been an option by now, definitely by 2026.

Also, International harvester would be offering an electric variant by 2026. Again, the market was headed in this direction and they would have been going the same way.

IH was always ahead of market curves with the scout. The prototype for the Scout SSV in the 80's was fiberglass, which was way ahead of it's time. Not to mention the first Scout 80's were the first vehicle of it's kind, period. They had a turbo-diesel option before the big 3 put them in full sized pickups. Not only do I think International Harvester would have been offering a four-door and an electric option, I think they would have been the first ones doing it.

.... This is what I have to keep telling myself to convince myself to get one in 2026 ;) :ROFLMAO: