Scout and Ram.jpeg

1961 Scout 80

61scout80's '61 Scout 80
  • From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debate is welcomed and often produces great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
This thread is for the general discussion of the vehicle 1961 Scout 80. Please add to the discussion here.
You have a first year Scout! If you don't mind sharing, what is the chassis number? With that I can give you an pretty good idea when it was built. Of course if you got the Line Setting Ticket, you will know that already. Still, I like to let people with '61 Scouts know that they are "plank owners" of a sort, owning a first-of-the-breed Scout!

Reactions: 61scout80
You have a first year Scout! If you don't mind sharing, what is the chassis number? With that I can give you an pretty good idea when it was built. Of course if you got the Line Setting Ticket, you will know that already. Still, I like to let people with '61 Scouts know that they are "plank owners" of a sort, owning a first-of-the-breed Scout!

Sorry it took so long!

your name sounds familiar, I just can't place it though. I know I've seen it SOMEWHERE. 🤣

Anyway, I have this book written by John Glancy and some other dude. I think this one was built between 10/10/1961 and 10/14/1961 using the dates and production numbers in there. It's FC24785A Am I close?

My other '61 is FC19345A. I'm guessing that one around 8/7/61 or so.

Here's that book, you should check it out sometime! :ROFLMAO:;)

scout book cover.jpg

scout book autograph.jpg

Reactions: J Alynn
You a funny guy! A funny guy with not one, but two '61s. DOUBLE plank owner!

I'd put FC24785 a bit earlier... September 20 or 21. That estimate is based on LSTs I have with chassis numbers close you yours and about 100-120 units per day production at that time.

As to FC19345, I put that one in July.... 14-16th or so.

But why guess? Order the LSTs from the Wisconsin Historical Society! Do so and support the maintenance of the collection and add to the provenance of your collection. Best to email [email protected] with your serial number and follow instructions upon the reply. Usually a couple weeks for turnaround, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more, depending on work load and work schedules.

I'm in the process of ... processing ... a list of Scout 80 evolutionary changes. The sliding window update is a recent one in which some progress has been made. Speaking of which, based on what I know now, they will certainly be multi-piece... the outer frame coming off separate from the glass and lower track. They should also be ribbed on the outer faces of the frame but I am tracking a possibility that only the very earliest were ribbed and later in '61, were flat. Help solve the mystery!

Were you at Nats? If so, did you get a look at FC520?

Reactions: 61scout80
ScoutScribe said:

FC1288

Thank you Jim,

So FC501 was the 1st?

It feels like its a blessing rather than pride. 😇

Greg Smith
Scout Owner/Enthusiast
Yep, FC501 was the first! And yours isn't too far away from it. An early Scout is definitely a blessing... one that takes you back to those thrilling days of yesteryear!

Reactions: Nothwang
Has a log been compiled of VIN & Serial numbers of the members? Being new to this forum and just getting familiar with finding my way around.

Has a log been compiled of VIN & Serial numbers of the members? Being new to this forum and just getting familiar with finding my way around.
No listing of VINs here. Frankly, they don't tell you much unless you have the resources to dig into for research. Later Scouts (post 12/66) have a prefix which tells you a little more. If you have particular questions, ask away... and the serial number does help me in that regard, since I have resources to consult. If you don't already have it, the LST (Line Setting Ticket... the build sheet) is a great source of info. You can order it from the Wisconsin Historical Society. Start that process by emailing your VIN or chassis number to [email protected]. There is a $20 charge and their reply email will tell you how to proceed. It could take up to two weeks.