thumbnail_IMG_3406.jpg

Super Scout / Hardtop

• From all of us at Scout Motors, welcome to the Scout Community! We created this community to provide Scout vehicle owners, enthusiasts, and curiosity seekers with a place to engage in discussion, suggestions, stories, and connections. Supportive communities are sometimes hard to find, but we're determined to turn this into one.

Additionally, Scout Motors wants to hear your feedback and speak directly to the rabid community of owners as unique as America. We'll use the Scout Community to deliver news and information on events and launch updates directly to the group. Although the start of production is anticipated in 2026, many new developments and milestones will occur in the interim. We plan to share them with you on this site and look for your feedback and suggestions.

How will the Scout Community be run? Think of it this way: this place is your favorite local hangout. We want you to enjoy the atmosphere, talk to people who share similar interests, request and receive advice, and generally have an enjoyable time. The Scout Community should be a highlight of your day. We want you to tell stories, share photos, spread your knowledge, and tell us how Scout can deliver great products and experiences. Along the way, Scout Motors will share our journey to production with you.

Scout is all about respect. We respect our heritage. We respect the land and outdoors. We respect each other. Every person should feel safe, included, and welcomed in the Scout Community. Being kind and courteous to the other forum members is non-negotiable. Friendly debates are welcomed and often produce great outcomes, but we don't want things to get too rowdy. Please take a moment to consider what you post, especially if you think it may insult others. We'll do our best to encourage friendly discourse and to keep the discussions flowing.

So, welcome to the Scout Community! We encourage you to check back regularly as we plan to engage our members, share teasers, and participate in discussions. The world needs Scouts™. Let's get going.

We are Scout Motors.
  • Welcome Guest to the Scout Registry!

Our goal is to create the largest Scout Registry in the world. If you own a Scout vehicle, regardless of year or condition, we would love to see it.

Just click on the "Add Vehicle" button and you can start the process. You can add a Title (your user name, model year, etc.), Brief Description (color name, model year, model) and a "Tell Us More About Your Scout:" where you can enter in your backstory, details about your Scout, modifications, restoration history, fun ownership stories and photos of your vehicle. You can also come back and modify or add to your registry entry at any time.

Also, please upload photos if you have them. You can also embed the photos into your story that you create so that people can see larger versions.

We look forward to seeing and hearing more about your Scout!

Tell us about your Scout:

1977 Super Scout that had hard doors and top added. While the VIN and the Chassis stamp match, I have questions whether this is an actual SSII. I may never know.

Purchased in 2005 from a seller in Sacramento. Paperwork/Line ticket indicates it was sold in Oakland, CA. The previous owner had it Rhino lined in interior. Has very little rust.

thumbnail_IMG_3406.jpg

Comments

Welcome to the Scout Registry! Got any photos you could add to your post? Also our resident historian Jim Allen may be able help you track down whether it is an original SSII.

I would very much like to connect with Jim Allen. It's been a mystery for 18 years.

Thanks!
And here I am!

The easiest thing is if you can post or PM the LST. I could also verify from the VIN. For a general lesson, here are a couple of other means to determine an SSII, starting with the location of the VIN plate... which should be on the passenger footwell mounted upside down. Also, the defroster vents will have snaps at each end for covers. I see the mirrors are mounted on the A-Pillar and that's another SSII clue. Finally, the 4th digit of the VIN will be a "5" of it's an SSII. For a '77 the first five would be "G0052." A good number of SSIIs had doors & tops added later. Occasionally by the selling dealer. The SSII didn't sell well outside the "grit-in-their-teeth" crowd, which was a small market. Most people wanted a more weathertight and quiet platform and since the doors and top were easily added, many did.

Hi Jim,
Nice to connect with you!

The VIN plate is not in the right place and is right side up....but the interior was Rhino lined, so whomever did that work could have put it back in incorrectly. The VIN plate, LS and chassis stamp all match, but people have said that the chassis stamp does not look correct. The snaps on the dash are not there, but there are round indentations on each side of the vent and a small hole (one hole on each side of vent) where the snaps would have gone. It looks like the snaps were there once. Also, the seats are not fixed. Everything else checks out...the mirrors, the fenders, obviously the documentation. I've attached the LST, the picture of the VIN plate and the chassis stamp. One person's opinion is that they had a wrecked SSII and put all the stuff on a regular Scout. Seems like a lot of trouble when they were not worth much back in 2005 when I bought it. Also....it's strange that they would go to all the trouble to get indentations on a dash and all the other parts but would allow the VIN plate to be mounted incorrectly. Plus it came with all the SSII door skins and the canvas top, but that doesn't mean anything. This is why it's been such a mystery. Also....Jim Glancy viewed the photo of the chassis stamp and said that while it did look odd, strange things could have happened on the assembly line.

Thanks for taking a look!!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-0762-1.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-0762-1.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail_IMG-0797.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-0797.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_IMG-0779-2.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-0779-2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 19
Well, all you can really say for sure is that the VIN and VIN tag came from an SSII. I verified it in the Service FIche as well... though the LST was plenty of proof. Body swaps on Scouts are very common due to the rust issues. Or, maybe it was wrecked as you suggested. In either case, back in '05 when Scouts and Scout parts were cheap, a person could have gotten a good body for a couple hundred and made up a nice Scout for not much money. The chassis stamp looks fine to me, though your image is pretty blurry. The font looks correct and the location is in the normal area... the exact spot somewhat variable within a few inches from one person stamping to another. It's pretty difficult to identify the year of a Scout II body. There were some differences across the years but that's one deep, pedantic dive I have not yet taken. BTW does the engine number match that listed on the LST? Finally, FWIW, if you have the bits to make it an SSII again.... why not!

Thank you for taking a look Jim! The chassis stamp caused some concern from others....they didn't think the font was correct, so I am glad to hear that you do. Where would I find the engine number?

Again, thanks for taking a look.

Steve

Vehicle information

Category
SCOUT II™
Added by
Potestio
Views
Comments
Last update

More in SCOUT II™